General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

St Georges Hospital Berkshire England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 5 Jul 2011 09:41

Hi Not sure if this is right board. I am trying to find out where St Gerges Hospital was. I know thta it was in Berkshire as a family member was born there in 1953, but so far i have not been able to find it. Anyone know where it was. Thank you Sandy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jul 2011 09:44

Sandra add Berkshire to your title so that it reads St Georges hospital Berkshire ?? That way you may get more people looking at the post.

Island

Island Report 5 Jul 2011 09:52

Hi Sandra

Their birth certificate will give more detailed information.

Sandra

Sandra Report 5 Jul 2011 10:19

Hi Thanks for that information,but the family member who was born there keeps saying that they where born somewhere else. This family member does not have a copy of there birth certificate and i now know that they had 2 bapitisms. On Parish records it list the 2 bapitisms. If i send for a copy of birth certficate they may ask to see it, if i find out where this hospital was i may be able to find out what sort of hospital it was and if there is something i need to find out and then talke to them about
Thank you Sandy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jul 2011 10:28

Found this on a general internet search - it was regarding jobs but the link doesn't work

st Georges hospital Crowthorne, Berkshire,

Would that be likely?

How about contacting the NHS Trusts, and see if they can help? Berkshire is divided in 2 - West Berkshire and East Berkshire. Do a search for their 'contact us' details.

Sandra

Sandra Report 5 Jul 2011 10:45

Hi Thanks for the information. They lived in Berkshire in the Wallingford area and i think Crowthorne is near Ascot Will do a search using St Georges and Crowthorne Thanks Sandy

Island

Island Report 5 Jul 2011 10:49

Sandra

Baptism has nothing to do with birth registration.

If the family member is adamant they were born elsewhere and doesn't want to be proved wrong why persue it? :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jul 2011 10:52

Wallingford now comes under the Oxfordshire NHS Trust.

eg Wallingford Community Hospital
Reading Road, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 9DU
01491 208500
( has a maternity unit!)

http://www.oxfordshirepct.nhs.uk/

Island

Island Report 5 Jul 2011 11:02

Hi DET :-D

I'm :-S by this. Finding a hospital won't prove that someone was born there. the only way is to get a copy of the birth cert.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jul 2011 11:03

How ever irritating, I do tend to agree with Island - after all, if the 1953 birth is the person who believes they were born elsewhere, they aren't 'that' old :-D

If you wanted to pursue it, it might be best to contact the 3 NHS PCT's and see if they can shed light on 'St George's Hospital'.

Alternatively, you could contact Berkshire or Oxford Archives for general advice. Berkshire is a relatively small county and Boundary changes over the years have confused things.

http://www.berkshirerecordoffice.org.uk/ContactUs/
[email protected]

Buckinghamshire - just in case
[email protected]
[email protected]

edit - they won't tell you if someone was born there. 100 year closure and all that, especially as the person is still living and not the enquirer

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 5 Jul 2011 11:47

Hi Sandra
I have just seen this and I live in Crowthorne, but I do not know of a St Georges Hospital in Berkshire, definately not in Crowthorne, unfortunately. The only hospital here is Broadmoor, the one that is pretty much a prison for the criminally insane !!!
I googled and the only reference to a St Georges Hospital is in Tooting London?

Hope somebody else can help.

Regards Linda :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jul 2011 12:24

Linda I too could only find the Tooting one. With the reference to Broadmoor, how long has it been a prison for the criminally insane?

Sandra, do you really need to dig any deeper for this? i.e. will it aid your family history research, Do you need it for your medical history? Or does it have the potential to cause upset to somebody who would only be 57/58 years old?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jul 2011 13:14

Broadmoor opened in 1863 and housed both males and females until 2007 when the female section was closed.

Interestingly, it is comes under the West London Mental Health Trust,

Rather than get sidetracked with the Broadmoor, have you found your relatives birth reg index on freebmd?

Click on the Registration district eg Wallingford.
The next page will repeat the reg details but also contain the sentence eg

The district Wallingford spans the boundaries of the counties of Berkshire and Oxfordshire; information about it can be found HERE

Click on 'here' which is in blue.

The link will give you the parishes and places covered by the Wallingford Reg District. Obviously, if your relative was not registered in Wallingford, the parishes will be different.

But it does depend how close you are to the relative, and how much upset your research would cause to them if you continue digging. The LIVING are more important than the dead! :-)

Vera2010

Vera2010 Report 5 Jul 2011 16:06

Although your concentrating on Berkshire, there was another St George's Hospital in London. The current one in Tooting was originally at Hyde Park in London. W1. I think it's a hotel now.

Vera

Sandra

Sandra Report 5 Jul 2011 18:07

HI I looked at the parish records again and it gves date of bapt ism and where it was.but then it states private bapt at st georges hospital. I have looked on the free BMD and this person is born in the Wallingford
area..Sandy

Island

Island Report 5 Jul 2011 19:52

maybe the baby wasn't expected to live and was baptised soon after birth.

you really do need to get the birth cert if you are so keen to get to the bottom of this.

Which parish records did you look at? out of curiosty

Sandra

Sandra Report 22 Aug 2011 17:33

Hi St George was at Wallingford and the baby was not expected to live.
The mother of the baby is on holiday here with me and she had told me that her child was baptised at birth then at the village that we lived in
Thank you for your help Sandy

LindainBerkshire1736004

LindainBerkshire1736004 Report 22 Aug 2011 18:19

Glad you sorted that out Sandra and thanks for the update

Linda X

Heather

Heather Report 4 Mar 2024 10:36

Hi Sandra I was born at St George's in Wallingford and have been trying to locate it.
https://oxfordshirehealtharchives.nhs.uk/hospitals/wallingford_isolation/

Wallingford Isolation Hospital
Built in 1904 by the Wallingford and Crowmarsh Joint Hospital Board, this was known at various times as Wallingford and Crowmarsh Joint Isolation Hospital and Wallingford and Bullingdon Joint Isolation Hospital. It became part of the NHS in 1948 under Reading and District Hospital Management Committee, and was renamed St George’s Hospital in 1950. It was a maternity hospital by 1974, when it transferred to Oxfordshire Area Health Authority. It was sold in 1981.
other links I found https://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/16243843.heralding-past-wallingfords-hospital-blown-lightning/#gallery1
Still havent worked out exactly where it was though

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Mar 2024 10:55

Heather, this is such an old thread that Sandra probably won’t see it. However, she is still a member so you could send her a pm by clicking on her name. If she has kept Genes uptodate with any contact changes Genes will let her know of the pm.
It was at the end of St George’s Road, opposite the site of the current Wallingford school.