General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Child maintenance and court records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LettyLoo

LettyLoo Report 18 Apr 2012 19:10

Hi

Is it possible that anyone is able to tell me if I would be able to trace / locate possible court child maintenance payments and records dating back to the 1960 (If they are at all still kept). Hoping to reveal the name of the maintenace payer.

Thank you

George Keyte

I was wondering if you would know that if my mum received maintenance for me through the court do you think they kept records?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 18 Apr 2012 19:56

Sorry the records would have been destroyed years ago.

My daughters weren't and she was born 1976..court case 1978 and I got £3 a week and he didn't pay that every week.

Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Apr 2012 20:14

It may not have been the same years ago but my grandfather left his family in the 1920's and my grandmother took him to court for desertion and maintenance for the children.

We found the record of the court hearing in the Magistrate's Court Record Books at the local archives.

He was ordered to pay 7 shillings court costs there and then and then 15 shillings a week to support his three children. The money had to be paid every week on a Friday. We even got the name of the Police Constable who had to serve the court order on him.

We were told that the Magistrate's Court Records could be viewed by the public as long as the case was more than 30 years ago.

Kath. x

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 19 Apr 2012 08:25

Family Law/ maintenance records are NEVER destroyed - at least not in this country.

xxxx mick

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Apr 2012 08:53

Try under the Freedom of Information Act to the issuing county court .....but this being family law case,any information can only be accessed if it contains information about you,but they are not obliged to comply.