General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Good news and bad news re my specs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 8 Nov 2012 15:02

Good news, got to opticians yesterday and whilst my previous pair cost £200 I was greatly surprised to find a drop in price - £139. Good news I could claim from insurance - however bad news I pay first £50, then lose 5 years no claims bonus and higher subs next year!

Executive decision - do not claim. Avoid small claims. They have you each way every way.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Nov 2012 16:34

I assume from that Chris that you decided to pay for them and not claim? Doesn't it make you wonder why we take out insurance sometimes?

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 8 Nov 2012 22:50

That is correct Ann - I said same to OH who replied - we need in case of eathquake, flooding or lightning and they will probably say all are Acts of God.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 9 Nov 2012 06:06

I claimed a while back and didn't get higher subs or no claims loss, and this year when they sent the new paperwork, I queried it and said I had been with them for several years, only one claim (the specs) and they took £100 off the total price (building and contents together)

Glad your new specs weren't as expensive as you expected tho Chris.

The optician where I get my eyes tested has a half price sale on all frames at the mo and new ones in this week so I am off on Saturday to try and find some I like. It's the lenses that push my costs up tho as I need varifocals and lightweight lenses.

Lizx

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 9 Nov 2012 13:22

Liz I use the same - varifocals and lightweight, non scratch, tinted lens.

Merlin

Merlin Report 9 Nov 2012 13:27

When next your Insurance premium comes for renewal, scrutinise it closely,they sometimes bump it up because you made or enquired about making a claim. Dodgy Lot Insurance Companys. :-S

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 9 Nov 2012 14:17

Son said same Merlin - Lord help the Saga/AA if it does! If they add tuppence on I shall complain!

Janet

Janet Report 9 Nov 2012 14:30

Was the insurance on the glasses or your household insurance.?

I broke my glasses (expensive) rimless last week. The lenses were fine but the bridge was made of metal and the tiny rivet came undone. Never thought anything about it. Took them back to the opticians,where I was told that they couldn't be mended and did I take out the insurance on them.Nope.

She then went onto the computer and I heard her 'talking' to the computer saying that they are still under guarantee. Not sure what that was all about. I am now awaiting a call from the opticians to say my new glasses are ready but I am also waiting to see if it is going to cost me something or whether the 'guarantee' means I won't have to pay. If I don't have to pay then why did they try to sell me an insurance on the glasses......hmmmmm-jl

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 9 Nov 2012 14:47

Janet - my specs were exactly the same but the bridge snapped whilst I was cleaning them - that is why I chose a 'frames pair' this time.

On our household insurance is a section covering valuables lost/damaged inside or outside home - glasses were mentioned which is why I went down that road. Think we paid a bit extra for that. Mine were over 4 years old.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 10 Nov 2012 06:23

I just claimed on ordinary household insurance, don't think glasses are mentioned specifically.

Chris, yes mine have all the anti scratch etc I used to have tinted lenses but my optician said I didn't need them a few years back so haven't had them for a while now. I used to find very bright daylight (not Sunglasses type) would make my eyes water.

I do have varifocal sunspecs too for summer holidays etc

Lizx