General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Guest houses and B & B's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 15 Nov 2012 22:02

This might be a stupid question, but is there a difference between
Guest houses and B & B's? I thought the two were just different names meaning the same thing.
Why I am asking is because an overseas cousin of mine is coming on holiday with me next year here in the UK. My cousin would prefer somewhere that has an ensuite, and not a shared bathroom.
She reckons that Guest houses have ensuites, and B & B's have shared bathrooms.
From Confused!! :-S

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 15 Nov 2012 22:07

I think most places have en sutie now Jan I thought the differances was meals, guess houses offered all meals and B & B just bed and breakfast :-D

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 15 Nov 2012 22:15

Every B&B we've stayed in has had an ensuite. We have never stayed in a Guest House so I can't tell you the difference.

Jan.

Jan. Report 15 Nov 2012 22:17

Thanks very much Hayley and SueMaid. I'll tell my cousin that most of them will probably have ensuite - we'll find out anyway when we are ready to book.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Nov 2012 22:29

Guest Houses usually dont hold a licence for alcohol,lots of B&B do....

Guest Houses suposed offer a small hotel atmosphere,

get checking now for reviews if any....some are dire.......

Premier Inns are good value and are in most major places....but early bookings needed.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 15 Nov 2012 22:31

Kay is right - we've viewed some ghastly B&B's and walked away....quickly.

Jan.

Jan. Report 15 Nov 2012 22:39

Thanks Kay and SueMaid.
We are going next May during the schools half term week - my cousin wants to wait till January before we book, as someone else may be coming with us, and won't know till the New Year. Hope that won't be too late to get good places.

I usually find places via the tourist guides that have at least 2 star rating, or look on the Little Green Book guide or similar. Also have found Trip Advisor which gives reviews of places.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Nov 2012 23:10

We used to have a British B&B book... can't remember who publishes it (one of the Automobile associations perhaps?).

All the places we stayed at were good.... but we were surprised at one of them... the Lady of the House kept her "party frocks" in the wardrobe of a guest room! We just shut the door on them, but wondered if they belonged to the Man of the House :-D

Jan.

Jan. Report 15 Nov 2012 23:11

Ha ha ha Scozz - that's funny! :-D