General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I do not care - I am not going to do it again

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 19 Nov 2012 12:59

Scan photographs to related researchers. Last year I tracked down relatives of a baby (I had been trying to find someone related to him for a number of years). I found his gdau in USA. He was photographed on his mother's knee (she died when he was a toddler) along with his g.mother and g.gmother. His g.mother was FIL's sister so I had a few photos to send. No reply. After 3 weeks I mailed and asked if they had received them. 'Yes' was the reply. End of story.

About 6-8 weeks ago I was contacted from relatives of another of FIL's sisters, I scanned photos of her wedding, six siblings of her husband and asked a few questions. Again after 3 weeks I mailed and asked if they had had time to look at them and could they help me with my queries. No reply as yet.

Both are GR members so hope they read this.

Is it me or do I expect too much? When I have received a photo for my tree, I am over the moon and so happy.

Phyll

Phyll Report 19 Nov 2012 13:05

I quite agree with you Chris. People are so rude these days. Like you if I receive a photo or any info I am soooo happy and always thank within minutes of receiving it
I should keep yourself to yourself when it comes to sending photos
Phyll.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 13:08

My first thought is.... How rude! Surely not too much to ask to drop a line, e mail, PM or whatever to say thank you for the photos, especially as you were contacted by the second person. Second thought is, if they are so disinterested, why did they bother? And, what a shame to miss out on possibly more information. Like you chris I have always been so grateful and so excited to receive photos and/or information.

Merlin

Merlin Report 19 Nov 2012 13:15

Thank you,is so easy to say, costs nothing,and gives a little pleasure to the recipient for services rendered. Ingorance is always remembered with distain and robs other people of the chance of help.**M&**.Shame really. :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Nov 2012 13:25

what happened to manners :-(

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Nov 2012 14:23

I rarely share anthing these days. Too many times I have been caught out with the other person saying that they too had pictures etc., to share and after receiving my photos etc., nothing in return not even a thank you.

How to really pee people off who only want to help and share.

Sharing is a two way street, which seems to be going more one way these days!

Island

Island Report 19 Nov 2012 14:36

Chris, "thank you" is not too much to expect. :-|

I would have been so over the moon you'd be wondering how to get rid of me LOL :-D

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 19 Nov 2012 14:42

Chris, the same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. It makes me sooooo mad when people ask for help and then ignore you completly.As my old mum used to say manners cost nothing. :-|

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 19 Nov 2012 15:27

How can people be so rude? If they are well enough to ask they are well enough to say Thankyou.
The sad result may be that you do not share again so a genuine person may loose something precious.

I hope that at sometime in the future you will be able to share again.

Bridget

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 19 Nov 2012 16:25

Ask where manners are - well I am truly miffed off today as on Saturday evening I offered on Freecycle an item when bought new would cost a lot of money and there is a lot of wear in it still and it looks reasonable.

I have just wasted two days with a complete time waster, I told OH last night I thought she was and proved it this afternoon. Anyway I phoned second person (Ihad eight enquiries) and she is coming this evening. I had two asking for a photo (would not know how to put on pc) and one which came in this morning and made me laugh as I thought it was so audacious - it ran something like this - 'have you still got it, can I have a photo and if I like it I will collect it on Thursday'

I have always expected honesty/politeness in people as I would give others but these three that I have mentioned on this thread make me weep with frustration!!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 19 Nov 2012 17:15

Neither will I,,,,,,,,I sent £13 in postage costs so a big bungle!,,,,,,,, they were all full of the happiness at the start,,,,exchange of numbers,,,,then ziltch------was too busy was the reply to sort any thing that might be of interest to me.,,,,,,,,,,best bit they knew nothing of their grandmothers origins,who also happened to be a gt aunt,,,,,,,glad they didnt get everything I held,,,,,,,,

then another,,,,,dont have time to deal with stuff............!!!both off this site...good job I didnt send anything this time or I would have blown steam.

wisechild

wisechild Report 20 Nov 2012 07:25

On the other side of the coin, I was contacted by a lady in New Zealand who found that I lived in Menorca. She asked me if I could do some research on her ggggrandfather who had been here with the army during the English occupation in the late 1700s.
He turned out to have been a famous engineer & there was lots of info about him, which I translated into English & sent to her, together with maps, diagrams & photos.
I got an immediate e mail of thanks from her & a few weeks later a parcel arrived containing a little glass ornament of a Maori "good luck" symbol.
I was so pleased.

Huia

Huia Report 20 Nov 2012 07:35

We Kiwis have good manners!

Linda

Linda Report 20 Nov 2012 12:50

I'm away a lot so if I dont answers right away I always say sorry and give the reason why when I get home and open my emails.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2012 13:12

What I really don't understand is, if they don't have time to 'deal with stuff' why make contact in the first place? It seems some people are more happy to take than give. I have been fortunate I think in that the people I have sent things to have reciprocated.