General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Electoral Registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 21 Nov 2012 20:00

A bit of advice about searching names

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 21 Nov 2012 20:01

I find these records as useful, sometimes more so, than census records for information, but I have not long discovered that if you have a name i.e John E Smith, and you put this in the search, you may not get who you are looking for, but if you put in the full name i.e John Edward Smith, you could well get who you are looking for, it also works the other way round, that is putting in the full name may not get you your man, but putting in the initial of the middle name will.

So if you don't find who you are looking for first time, well worth looking again using the info above.

Good Luck :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Nov 2012 20:05

Thanks Lynda,

Haven't got around to looking for a lot of mine in London but there are a few. OH has masses but fortunately the surname spelling is unusual :-D

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 21 Nov 2012 20:37

I have found so much information on these records Sue, I've found families living in the same Streets and houses, future husbands and wives, living next door to each other, it's been really helpful with recent family records, it's reminded me of people, who lived in the same house, but who's names I had forgotten :-D

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 21 Nov 2012 20:44

When you have printed out the electoral roll page put the paper back in the printer (printed side up).

Click on "view record" then "view printer friendly" and print. Then you have all the info on the back.

Hope you can follow that.............Sis........ :-D :-D

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 21 Nov 2012 20:44

I found my Great Grandfather who couldn't be found in any census. I was beginning to think he didn't exist, except on a marriage certificate of my Grandmother.

I can't wait for the next census

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 21 Nov 2012 20:47

You can also trace them if they moved between census.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Nov 2012 20:48

Thanks Bro, when I have figured that out I'll do it :-(

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 21 Nov 2012 20:51

Not with the name of Williams you can't.......I have been searching for years.....they keep changing their age and place of birth....plus being Catholics doesn't help with parish registers online.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 21 Nov 2012 21:15

I have trouble with my Catholics too Susan, they have so many children for a start :-D