General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

American Thanksgiving day, Thurs 22 Nov

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 22 Nov 2012 21:12

Dear All

Hello

Thanksgiving Day celebrates the harvest and blessings of the past year.

It has been marked since 1621 and is thought to commemorate a harvest feast
the US Pilgrims shared with Indians after settling at Plymouth, in what is now Massachusetts.

Held on the final Thursday in November, the modern festival sees millions of people travelling to be with family, eat turkey meals and watch NFL football matches.

More US stores are open so shoppers can lookout for bargains even before the traditional start of the festive shopping season.

President Barack Obama carried out the traditional US presidential duty by pardoning a turkey!

Since taking office, he has created his own custom of sparing an extra turkey.

"In the company of friends and loved ones, we will celebrate a uniquely American holiday," Mr Obama said.

A happy and peaceful holiday to our amercian colleagues and friends.

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 22 Nov 2012 21:56

As a child we used to have the harvest festivals, I guess something similar.
Mind the shops didnĀ“t open all hours selling Christmas tat that early for their profit.

Harvest festivals was about giving.
Like you I do wish all our American friends a happy holiday (although not peaceful to my friend in Canada *grins* )

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Nov 2012 22:11

Happy Thanksgiving, to all our American 'cousins', and my American cousins and family :-)