General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

protection -- important to read

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Maureen Report 23 Nov 2012 06:07

If you find your self written as a spouse on a tree on this site -- when you are not the spouse in any shape of form or in another instance, find that someone is accused of being a parent of children that are are not theirs --- and have asked the tree owner -- -- what do you do next - when they choose not to.

People copy these records -


JustDinosaurJill Report 23 Nov 2012 08:49

That's an interesting one Maureen.

I can think of two ways to come at it. Firstly the legal side. Are there any consequences of information correctly or incorrectly posted for all the world to see. I would imagine that this is one of those name collectors who cares little for the accuracy of their tree so presumably would also care little about you. I imagine this would be one of those internet law questions and whether those setting legislation would be willing to look at this. And then there's the question of how much you care and what action are you prepared to take. Maybe a message giving the person so much time to remove the offending or you will take action. But do you really want to take action when you are ignored?

Second way to come at this is in the scheme of things, do you care and does it really matter that much to you or in the scheme of things? I suppose if there is enough personal information to enable a fraudster to use your identity, that would be something to worry about.

I think it probably is something that would upset me but on the other hand, should I just let the person go on being an idiot and other idiots following.

Having answered in general I re-read your post and you say the tree is on this site. Have you contacted GR to ask them to deal with this? People do copy trees but the best way to deal with it is to not open your tree until you are absolutely certain of the person you are sharing with.

Just my thoughts. Hope they help.



Susan10146857 Report 23 Nov 2012 09:45

GR will sort it. just email them and let them know exactly what where and who and they will contact them to delete.


AnninGlos Report 23 Nov 2012 09:49

If anyone posts names of living people GR will remove them when it is pointed out to them.


Island Report 23 Nov 2012 09:50

Are you sure it is you and not someone by the same name on the tree? I don't understand what you mean by 'is accused of being a parent of children that are are not theirs'. Accused? do you mean in reality? :-S


Robert Report 23 Nov 2012 10:05

it is possible for people with the same name to be born on the same day, and if the surname is a very common name like smith to be born same place. Legaly i doult they have done anything wrong

How many of us who research our trees , and gone down the wrong route. and who many times have we had to make assumptions to take our research futher

we all know that public records can be wrong. we all know records that have been transcribe can be wrong. and lots of us have learned the hard way.

I have had a firm of well know researchers contact me as they were tracing heirs to a relation of mine. even they made mistakes which i had to correct and they had access to all the records on microfilm and they still got the wrong certs mind you there were researching the name smith

all you can do is ask to see there evidents and then ask them to put things right if they are wrong. even the best of us can get it wrong. i dont thing there is much you can do or GR can do


Island Report 23 Nov 2012 10:25

Maureen, have you looked up the names in marriage and birth records to see if the spouse tallies with someone of the same name as yours? Likewise with the children?

I've found persons with fairly uncommon names born and/or marrying at the same time and place as another with the same name.


ChrisofWessex Report 23 Nov 2012 13:02

GR should check Search All Trees - it is covered with babies/toddlers/children born in this century