General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Larry Hagman

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 24 Nov 2012 08:57

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Larry Hagman, whose predatory oil baron J.R. Ewing on television's long-running nighttime soap opera "Dallas" became a symbol for 1980s greed and coaxed forth a Texas-sized gusher of TV ratings, has died. He was 81.

Hagman, who returned as J.R. in a new edition of "Dallas" this year, passed away Friday afternoon due to complications from his battle with cancer, according to a statement from the family provided to The Associated Press by Warner Bros., producer of "Dallas."

"Larry was back in his beloved hometown of Dallas, re-enacting the iconic role he loved the most," the family said. "Larry's family and closest friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday."

Linda Gray, his on-screen wife in the original series and the sequel, was with Hagman when he died in a Dallas hospital, said her publicist, Jeffrey Lane.

R I P Larry.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Nov 2012 09:49

Saw that online this morning but (after the Morgan Freeman rumour) checked for myself.

A complicated man but I loved him in Dallas.

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 24 Nov 2012 09:58

I loved him in I dreamed of Genie :-D

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 24 Nov 2012 10:03

I did too Hayley :-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 24 Nov 2012 10:06

The old Dallas used to be my Mars Bar, packet of cheese and onion crisp and bottle of coke night.

Every Wednesday.

Them were the days.

:-D

Von

Von Report 24 Nov 2012 10:33

I too was very sad to hear this.

He was on the "One Show" not very long ago just before they were about to show the new series of Dallas.

I too watched the old Dallas every week. Gripping stuff. :-D

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 24 Nov 2012 11:11

I thought Dallas was on , on a saturday night I used to watch it when I was baby sitting about 1980 ish........ :-D

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 24 Nov 2012 11:15

I was a baby........... ;-) but i am sure it was a Wednesday.

:-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2012 12:33

puts on tin hat here - I thought he was rather a wooden actor, as were most of his co-stars in Dallas Lucy Ewing was a rubbish actress, as was Jock

I saw his mother Mary Martin in South Pacific at the London Palladium many years ago - she was great

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 24 Nov 2012 12:37

I have to agree with you Ann.

A great series but rubbish acting by most of the cast.

Merlin

Merlin Report 24 Nov 2012 13:35

Typical Soap. but his mother was Good.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 24 Nov 2012 13:54

Sad news

Never watched Dallas (not a great soap fan)

But loved him in 'I Dream of Genie' - hope that some channel now decides to repeat this great series.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Nov 2012 20:19

Used to love Dallas, caught the new one last week and thought how ill he looked. Sorry to hear of his death. An institution :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Nov 2012 20:19

Used to love Dallas, caught the new one last week and thought how ill he looked. Sorry to hear of his death. An institution :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2012 21:04

I always thought it hysterical that they had meals on the terrace in a howling gale - the wind was always blowing around the ranch