General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas R Thomas & Ellen Morris

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 25 Nov 2012 13:19

I wonder if anyone can help me. My grandmother is annie ellen thomas 23/12/1896 born in wales but not sure whether north or south after several years still cannot track her birth and a researcher has come up with the following information on the above couple. She feels it could be my family but is not positive.
She states she has tried tracing the family who are in Merthyr in 1911. Managed to pin them down eventually in 1901 where Annie Ellen is recorded as Ellen Ann (they like to make things complicated don't they ?). They are living in Dyserth at this time, but Annie Ellen is recorded as born in Glamorganshire on this census. Also Thomas is Thomas R. He gives his place of birth as Llanidan, Caernarfonshire on both census. It's actually on Anglesey, but it does come under Caernarfon for registration. It would appear that Ellen comes from Llanrwst and there is a marriage recorded in 1893 in Llanrwst between Thomas Robert Thomas and Ellen Morris.
Thomas R Thomas
Spouse: Ellen Thomas
Birth: abt 1866 - Llanidan, Caernarvonshire, Wales
Residence: 1901 - Dyserth, Dyserth, Flintshire, Wales

I would like to ask the community if anyone out there could be related to this family as a course of elimination. Any ideas what section I could put this on under on genes also so I could get feedback from other members.

Penny

Penny Report 25 Nov 2012 15:26

Your best tack would be to get the marriage cert, cllarify the name of her father.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Nov 2012 15:35

well really best to put this on Find Ancestors - and to see if anyone else is researching this family on this site use "Search" top right hand corner and you will discover if any of them are in trees on this site - you can then contact the tree owner

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Nov 2012 15:38

Ellen Morris
England and Wales Census, 1901
birth: 1892 Eglwys Bach,? Denbighshire
census: 31 Mar 1901 Eglwys Fach,? Denbighshire,? Wales

name: Ellen Morris
event: Census
event date: 31 Mar 1901
relationship to head of household: Daughter
birthplace: Eglwys Bach, Denbighshire
record type: Household
registration district: Llanrwst
sub-district: Llanrwst
ecclesiastical parish: St Martin
civil parish: Eglwys Fach
county: Denbighshire

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Nov 2012 15:38

Ellen Morris
birth: 1892 Swansea,? Glamorganshire
census: 31 Mar 1901 Swansea,? Glamorganshire,? Wales

birthplace: Swansea, Glamorganshire
registration district: Swansea
sub-district: Swansea
ecclesiastical parish: Christ Church
civil parish: Swansea
county: Glamorganshire

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Nov 2012 15:39

Ellen M Morris
birth: 1892 Tonyrefail,? Glamorganshire
census: 31 Mar 1901 Llantrisant,? Glamorganshire,? Wales

name: Ellen M Morris
birthplace: Tonyrefail, Glamorganshire
registration district: Pontypridd
sub-district: Llantrisant
ecclesiastical parish: Llantrisant
civil parish: Llantrisant

Ellen Morris
Wales, Monmouthshire, Parish Registers, 1538-1912
baptism: 16 Dec 1892 Maindee,? St John The Evangelist,? Monmouthshire,? Wales

event: Baptism
event date: 16 Dec 1892
event place: Maindee, St John The Evangelist, Monmouthshire, Wales
digital folder number: 004393201

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Nov 2012 15:41

Thomas R Thomas
birth: 1892 Pyle,? Glamorganshire
census: 31 Mar 1901 Pyle,? Glamorganshire,? Wales

name: Thomas R Thomas
relationship to head of household: Grand Son
birthplace: Pyle, Glamorganshire
registration district: Bridgend
sub-district: Bridgend
ecclesiastical parish: Pyle St James With Kenfig
civil parish: Pyle

Thomas R Thomas
birth: 1892 Swansea,? Glamorganshire
census: 31 Mar 1901 Swansea,? Glamorganshire,? Wales

relationship to head of household: Son
birthplace: Swansea, Glamorganshire
registration district: Swansea
sub-district: Swansea
ecclesiastical parish: Christ Church
civil parish: Swansea

Thomas R Thomas
birth: 1892 Rhondda,? Glamorganshire
census: 31 Mar 1901 Ystradyfodwg,? Glamorganshire,? Wales

birthplace: Rhondda, Glamorganshire
sub-district: Ystradyfodwg
ecclesiastical parish: Ystradyfodwg St John
civil parish: Ystradyfodwg

Thomas R Thomas
birth: 1893 Eglwysilan,? Glamorganshire
census: 31 Mar 1901 Llanwonno,? Glamorganshire,? Wales

birthplace: Eglwysilan, Glamorganshire
sub-district: Llanwonno
ecclesiastical parish: Llanwonno
civil parish: Llanwonno

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Nov 2012 15:42

so the two Swansea ones might fit the bill?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Nov 2012 15:43

cannot believe how many Thomas R Thomas's there are!!!! must have been a very popular combination of forenames at the time

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Nov 2012 12:28

Please delete your new duplicate posting on "Find Ancestors" and continue with this one otherwise research is likely to be repeated for you

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Nov 2012 02:43

I see you have read the message I sent you - do you think you could make some response on here please

Ruth

Ruth Report 27 Nov 2012 11:52

Hi Ann, Thanks for that I can see how many there are so I shall start to send out messages and see if I can get any response that may help me. Thank you

Ruth

Ruth Report 27 Nov 2012 12:55

does anyone know if we can search welsh newspapers on genes yet?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Nov 2012 12:57

you could google on the web and see if there are any sites for Welsh newspapers - there probably are

Ruth

Ruth Report 21 Jun 2013 22:55

I am trying to find a census for 1901 with the address 29 william street, trethomas, Monmouthshire and 35 or 39 margam street, caerau

please can anyone help me?

Ruth

Ruth Report 22 Jun 2013 08:47

I have the death certificate of ellen Thomas (my great grandmother) who deceased on 15/9/1934 at 12 Edwards terrace, abertridwr, sub district Eglwysilan, glamorganshire. It states that she was 71 years old so born 1863 approx. It states wife of Thomas Thomas - coal hewer. Informant William Henry Phillips - son in law which is my grandfather. So I now know this is my great grandmother.

The local council gave me a date for Thomas Thomas being deceased in 1936 with the name of William Thomas Thomas being in the same plot as my ellen, but a family on ancestory emailed me to tell me that the certificate I obtained was their relative and therefore nothing to do with me. The wife being a jane Thomas who was the informant on the death certificate.

I have been going back over the information and the death certificate of ellen and wondering where was Thomas Thomas? I suspect now that Thomas was deceased at this time otherwise why would they give him a mention in this certificate I mentioned above. Do you Know?

If he was separated from ellen or divorced do you think he would still be mentioned in the certificate? Thomas was on the electoral roll from 1917 - 1933 at 29 William street, trethomas, monthmouthshire and then no mention of him after that. This was obviously when the family moved to Abertridwr, Glamorganshire.

As their address was 29 William street, trethomas I now need to look for a death record for Thomas Thomas at this address.

The Glamorgan records have indicated that in 1933 there was no mention of the family at 12 Edwards terrace, abertridwr, Glamorganshire but in 1934 both my grandfather William Henry Phillips and my Grandmother Annie ellen Phillips (Thomas) are recorded but no ellen. Ellen died in 1934 so perhaps the electoral roll was taken after her death.

If anyone has any information or thoughts on this which may help me search this information please let me know.

thank you

Ruth

Ruth Report 25 Jun 2013 13:39

I haven't had any replies so has anyone got any thoughts that if Thomas Thomas is on Ellen thomas' death certificate as husband but not informant - do you think he would he be still alive at that time? (1934)