General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Buy one get one free....Miracles that is...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Nov 2012 15:37

Peter Popoff has just sent my son a letter :-)

As God's spokesperson he informs us that if Dan sends the enclosed "prosperity wallet" back for a special blessing, he ( Dan lol) will receive health , wealth and the power of healing. Providing the wallet is returned by December 12th there will be two weeks of miracles, as Dan " has been singled out from all the people in the world, Praise the Lord".

Did I mention the £150 that Dan has to send back with the 'prosperity wallet' to ensure God's full attention....?

Still it's not all bad, Dan may not be able to afford to follow the instructions re returning the wallet plus cheque...but in turning the wallet inside out I find it is made of a very nice piece of white silk which will make a cracking pair of wings for the fairy on top of the Christmas tree :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Nov 2012 15:41

Got any spare monopoly money? Bet Peter Popoff would have trouble trying to spend that! :-D

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 30 Nov 2012 15:58

Google peter popoff/james randi. He did a fantastic takedown of him and his faith healing performance, by using a scanner to pick up the feeds to an ear mike giving him information about poeple in the audience. Classic Randi.

Popoff was bankrupted after that, but he keeps coming back to prey on vulnerable gullible people, and does very nicely out of it too!

He made a lot out of selling packets of 'Dead Sea Salt' which were little plain catering sachets of table salt. Sprinkle them on a glass of water or even your macdonalds and bingo, you were guaranteed wealth and prosperity.

Its enough to give the god business a bad name :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Nov 2012 16:10

we are laughing over it, there are pages and pages of it, but it is truly awful, the sealed letter (that is not to be opened until three days after the £150 is sent) contains a ' secret healing touch glove" ( ie one of those thin polythene ones you get in hair dye ) which you also return for blessing and then it is sent back for you to heal yourself of whatever ills you may be suffering.

The threat that hangs over it all would frighten a susceptible person half to death...basically if you don't send the money your life is under the sway of Satan ( "who will do all he can to stop you answering the letter" using perhaps relatives to deter you from sending the money etc). :-|

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 30 Nov 2012 16:23

Eldrick People have fallen for this nonsense. And will continue to.

It is not always the feeble minded either. I reckon we would be surprised how many people can fall for these scams.

Seem to be more this year than ever. Caveat emptor, but we cannot all be as emptor as we should be. Otherwise these emails from Nigeria would stop, Peter Payoff would stop ands my unsolicited phone calls would stop.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 30 Nov 2012 16:39

Well, how bright do you have to be to believe that buying a wealth and prosperity wallet blessed by god will bring you wealth. Come on. Pretty feeble minded if you ask me. But, their look out. At least the nigerian scams have a miniscule shred of believability hidden deep inside them. Money from god? Purleeese!

Which doesnt make it any more ethical or moral, i hasten to add, but the love of money is the root of all evil. Thats why i like going to church and taking money out of the collection. I would hate them to be corrupted by filthy money. :-D :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 30 Nov 2012 17:53

Rose.....some like to be rubbed in ill places with a marigold........... ;-) ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D.

dont complain,,,,,,,,,you got a rubber glove and slik purse for free!!!

did you check it isnt made from a sows ear..... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D.

Eldrick......you not heard of pennies from heaven. ;-) :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 30 Nov 2012 19:51

Years ago I received a chain letter threatening me with all sorts of dire consequences if I didn't forward it to another 10 people. It went straight in the bin, and a couple of days later I won the equivalent of about a weeks wages in a raffle. So if anyone out there wants to send me any more, my address is ........ Bob

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 30 Nov 2012 19:52

Years ago I received a chain letter threatening me with all sorts of dire consequences if I didn't forward it to another 10 people. It went straight in the bin, and a couple of days later I won the equivalent of about a weeks wages in a raffle. So if anyone out there wants to send me any more, my address is ........ Bob

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 30 Nov 2012 19:53

oops! sorry, seem to have pressed the sent button twice.

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Dec 2012 17:06

Update in a new " Double emergency" letter, that son is under attack from Satan, and that is the reason he hasn't got a job and a car, BUT the good news is that the little red 'apron' enclosed and tiny "sandwich bag" is 'Jesus' apron...and will help in the miracle of getting son said car, despite Satan's intent to destroy him.

So now I have some silk for angel wings and a tiny red apron, by next Christmas I may well have enough to make an angel AND Mrs Claus :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 13 Dec 2012 17:10

What a load of codswallop! but I wish I'd thought of it first ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Dec 2012 17:17

Sue we also have to send of a morsel of bread for blessing , and £35 ( even if it has to be borrowed) :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 13 Dec 2012 17:27

What?????????????? dare I ask is there anything you CAN'T send to be blessed? and get yourself into debt over a bread crumb! Words almost fail me ;-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Dec 2012 19:30

Had never heard of Peter Popoff, so googled him. What a plank. How does he get away with it??

Can't abide TV evangelists so never watch them - rarely watch any religious TV actually.

Sadly, there will always be the gullible who fall for these scams - just like those folk who are certain they are winners with the Readers Digest :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Dec 2012 20:18

Hello Cynthia, the letters are in the same format as the letters from Readers Digest used to be, the same underlining of 'important' sentences either emphasising how good things will be if you do A, B and C ...and how bad they will be if you don't.

It's quite subtle in the way it's worded , after all no one wants to let Satan rule, and the 'word of God' is quoted directly ( as 'spoken' to Popoff) eg:

Popoff "The Lord just gave me this powerful phrophetic word for you"

God " I say unto you Danny if you will obey me now...I have chosen you..I will send my servant ( Popoff) to bring you more revelations.....I will bring you prosperity....."

It makes it very 'personal', using your first name, as a 'friend'....

Subtle in some parts, 'coaxing', frightening, pleading.... really not pleasant to read if you have any faith yourself, and must be so difficult to ignore if you are more trusting ( less cynical!) than me.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 13 Dec 2012 20:25

I am concerned that they are addressed to your lad who unless he has aged quickly is still a minor....hows he got his name and address? :-|

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Dec 2012 20:54

Not certain Hayley but as Dan owns domain names his email and address are attached to them, so probably from a 'sold-on' list ot some sort. He does also get offers of loans and credit cards lol . :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Dec 2012 21:22

Hope your son has consigned him to his 'spam' box and blocked him Rose.

Very unpleasant indeed.

It does make you wonder how many people have our details though.... :-S