General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Challenge to people who post regularly

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 2 Dec 2012 19:57

or don't post at all !

Add a thread of your own that is 'new' 'original' 'fun' 'serious' ...that might be of interest for others to post on whether they know anyone on here or not.

There must be something each member can think of that they've never seen discussed here?

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 2 Dec 2012 20:10

I love your Poinsettia Rose.... :-)

Wend

Wend Report 2 Dec 2012 20:11

I can think of a couple Rose, but they are 'serious' and I don't think people have time to be serious at the moment. I think maybe, for some people, posting now is a bit of a release, either with humour or completely 'off the wall' in some cases :-S :-D

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 2 Dec 2012 20:12

I know lets talk about poinsettia"s. on special offer in tesco dont you know. ;-)

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 2 Dec 2012 20:14

Thankyou Marilyn, I am liking the look of your mincepie lol , haven't had one this year yet.

Wend, go for it, serious is good for some, it concentrates the mind away from the daily grind :-).

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 2 Dec 2012 20:14

try it Wend....maybe it will help to relieve any tension :-)

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 2 Dec 2012 20:30

I dont mind you having a bite of my mince pie Rose.. :-S

But can someone please tell me how to stop eating this bag of crisp !!! its a big packet !! :-(

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 2 Dec 2012 20:38

Too Late.......there all Gone.......yummy.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

GinN

GinN Report 2 Dec 2012 21:01

I find that most posts just disintergrate into "in" jokes between regulars, which is pretty offputting to those wanting to discuss anything new.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 2 Dec 2012 21:11

That's a good point Geordie.....I have to admit that I stopped putting up serious posts many a moon ago.......don't get me wrong, I like to laugh as much as the next person, but I just wished at the time that there was a polite way to tell people that 'over the top' humour has its place (without hurting their feelings) and it wasn't on threads that had an obvious theme..Now, alas I am known only for my jesting :-(. I don't mean that humour cannot be part of the thread but......sometimes it can be irritating if it then becomes the norm.

GinN

GinN Report 2 Dec 2012 22:22

I'm all for humour, too, and threads don't always have to be serious, just interesting and welcoming. I have noticed that the majority of posters have been with the site for at least 3 or 4 years, is this because newcomers give up trying to be heard among the cliquish chatter?
I don't want to seem petty, there are some lovely people on here and some interesting chats, but it does often come across as a bit of an exclusive club.

Merlin

Merlin Report 2 Dec 2012 22:26

Meybe its because really interesting ones get "Whooshed" or disintergrate into rows and nastiness. so people have a laugh over it.**M** :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 2 Dec 2012 22:28

This seems to have gone really well tonight. Even I am not all over every thread like a rash. Nice to see so many coming out to play.

And yes, I am interested in your serious thread, Wend. Though not sure I will agree. :-) ;-)

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 2 Dec 2012 22:31

Geordie I don't think that people don't stay because of cliquishness ( if that's a word lol) as when I joined there were more perceived cliques than there are now lol.

I think it's like any site though you find one that suits you and stick with it, in my case, as possibly wiith some others, because it was the first site I joined, new to the internet. Now there are many more sites like facebook where people chat so maybe people use those more... a lot of newcomers to this board are actually people who have been on the site longer but haven't used it for the chat board and though they may come on sometimes generally use the site for its 'actual' purpose.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Dec 2012 22:32

Sometimes, just sometimes, the 'humour' can help diffuse a rather tense situtation allowing the protagonists to retreat to their corners to ponder.

For those of us who can't come up with the fast quips, it can limit the number of threads we might find interesting, but as Rose has shown tonight, if more people could take the plunge, something might develop into a discussion or exchange of views.

Island

Island Report 2 Dec 2012 22:38

Humour threads are very popular judging by the view counts.

Let's not go down the 'clique' alley again, it's caused enough upset today.

The 'problem' stems from GR in their wisdom making 'general' and 'chat' one board - the two do not mix.

Geordie, you have been welcomed by many on this board as have several other 'newbies'. Maybe think outside the box before judging so soon? Then we can all get along.

Island

Island Report 2 Dec 2012 22:46

Det, I'm not getting this. More often than not when I look at the board it is mainly 'serious' threads. I enjoy some quick fire banter, it's helped me through many a stressful situation.

There's nothing to stop anyone from putting up threads so why are so many whinging about fun threads? :-S

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 2 Dec 2012 22:53

I like serious threads, because I can really 'block out' the day to day hassle by concentrating my thoughts on debate lol....but I also like some of the funny threads if they appeal to my admittedly odd sense of humour :-)

neither is wrong or right, it is always good to have a mix of topics, so whatever ones mood there is something to enjoy or think about.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 2 Dec 2012 22:54

'cliqueish chatter' is a bit harsh don't you think, Geordie? Like Island says, you were welcomed on the boards with open arms. For some of us, humour gets us through tough times. *tickles everyone :-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Dec 2012 22:54

It seems to go in waves ;-)

Yes, recently there have been a number of serious threads, you're right there. Others may start off as serious, or a comment on something that has happened to them during the day, and develop into an exchange of quick-fire comments......not that there is anything wrong with that of course!

If you meant the Pantomime type threads, there doesn't seem to have been any around for a while. Did the instigator(s) leave?

As you've said there were a few concerns when General and Chat were merged, but overall it has worked out reasonably well.