General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Private Stroke Screening

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 4 Dec 2012 19:05

A private screening company contacted me last week. They will be in my area soon and and are inviting people to come forward for a variety of scans.

At first I thought it might be some sort of scam so checked with The Care Quality Commission.

I had 3 mini strokes in 2004 and was found in hospital scans to have a build up of plaque in the Carotid artery. My doctor followed this up with medication.

No further problems except for dizziness. So I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a check up privately. The only way to get another from doctor would be to have more symptoms. I think its a good idea to see how things are 8 years on.

Has anyone else opted for this.and have views on it

Island

Island Report 4 Dec 2012 19:10

just being nosey Barb.
Not something I or mine have experience of but anything that can do early detection of anything has to be a good thing.

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 4 Dec 2012 19:17

I think so to Island. Just feeling a bit nervous about it

Like, what you don't know you cant worry about.

Its £60 and you get a full report sent within 3 weeks.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Dec 2012 19:18

Hope you don't think I am putting a downer on it.

But how much is it going to cost..???

Bet it's around £100

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 4 Dec 2012 19:21

I have had a letter similar to yours but we had to pay £130 approx to have the scans, as I couldn't afford that I didn't look into it further.

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 4 Dec 2012 19:38

Its £149 for 5 different screenings but I only booked 1 for £60. Had to pay £15 dep over the phone and the rest on the day. I checked on my account as I dont trust anyone and just that amount had been taken.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 4 Dec 2012 19:42

Yes, we had them done a few weeks ago. there are different packages you can have depending on what you opt for. The set up is very efficient, they tell you immediately if there is a problem, otherwise, it takes a couple of weeks for them to send the results. You get a summary to give to your GP.

Yes I know in an ideal world, it would be done on the NHS, but it isn't. OH's father died from a burst aneurysm, so it was reassuring for him to be able to be scanned for this

Robert

Robert Report 4 Dec 2012 19:44

If it were me, I'd discuss it with my GP before I did anything.

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 4 Dec 2012 19:45

Myself and Hubby has had it done 2 months ago cost £278 for two.

They are not Doctors that give you the tests ....but are returned to a Doctor for examination of your results....

Luckily we were given good results 8 days later.

The tests are very simple nothing to fear !

As we travel a lot we wanted piece of mind ....worth it for us . :-)

I consulted my doctor first ..... doctor said if you can afford it .....have it done.

Glad we did. :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 4 Dec 2012 19:47

We asked our doctor and she said go for it if you can afford it

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 4 Dec 2012 19:48

Linda thankyou. just what I wanted to hear.

Mum had a bad stroke when she was only 63 and I am a worrier.

My brother had a burst aneurysm too but luckily survived

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Dec 2012 19:59

Sounds like good value for peace of mind. I get a bit concerned because my mum and her brother both died from a ruptured aortic aneurism.

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 4 Dec 2012 20:02

Forgot to add...

This is one of the Tests ....Aorta Scan

Men over 65yrs can have an Aorta Aneurysm Scan Screening for FREE under the national health .

My hubby had this too before we had the private one....but you have to ASK the doctor for it !!

Not available for women.....YET !! :-0

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 4 Dec 2012 20:05

Sorry I was a bit out of sync. Answering the phone

Thanks for all your replies. I feel a lot happier about it now.

:-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Dec 2012 21:14

Yes my oh has had the aorta scan.

Gins

Gins Report 4 Dec 2012 21:18

I'm not sure about this at all :-S

Cant we get this on our NHS?

x