General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spuds

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Dec 2012 22:08

Last year I paid £5 for a sack of spuds, The farmer has finally put some out this year and they are twice that.

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Dec 2012 22:09

The potatoes have been really bad, the only good ones I have found this year are from Scotland :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Dec 2012 22:12

It seems the basmati rice harvest has been exceptionally good this year.

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 4 Dec 2012 22:30

We grow potatoes and most are sold at the gate, in a normal year our main crop pots don't sell out until March/April this year the crop was so bad we are looking at being sold out by Christmas.

Check this site http://potato.org.uk it will give you a guide on prices.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Dec 2012 22:37

I doubt I will get them any cheaper and I trust this supplier.

There is not much going to cost the same this year.

Iris

Iris Report 5 Dec 2012 14:31

hi sharron ,
i had to pay £10 FOR A OF POTATOES, FROM MY LOCAL GREENGROCER,he tells me that by christmas there will be no english potatoes left in england ...its the worst year i have ever known for root crops . iris

Julia

Julia Report 5 Dec 2012 14:51

Our potatoes were rotting in the ground as they were growing, with all the rain we had this year, on the allotment. Brussels also failed, hence me having to buy them. I got them yesterday for £1, a bag on special offer. Don't know how long the offer is on for.
Did notice as I passed a Greengrocers yesterday that she was selling her stems of Brussels at £1.50. Out of curiosity will look again nearer Christmas and see what she is charging.
Everything veggie wise will go up for Christmas, whether it has too or not.

Julia in Derbyshire

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Dec 2012 16:00

The supermarkets are having to lower their standard look of veggies and we will be buying ugly veg!!!!

Me I don't care as long as they taste good.

With the awful wet weather we have had virtually all root crops have been badly affected and the prices will only go up.