General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whether you're a believer or not...

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 7 Dec 2012 18:53

Do you enjoy Christmas time?

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 7 Dec 2012 18:54

I love it, mostly for the family factor, not bothered about presents, just the fact the day is spent all together.

As for believing, not sure what I believe, I change my mind on "what's it all about" according to the situation , but accept those who believe, and those who don't, it's up to them.

I don't believe there is a Father Christmas, or fairies, but the thought of them is quite enchanting :-D

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 7 Dec 2012 18:55

No, I'm not a believer and, no, I don't enjoy Christmas much.

aivlyS

aivlyS Report 7 Dec 2012 18:56

Yes I enjoy Christmas , great to see everyone and have a nice time , and the Christmas tree and decorations brighten the cold darker days .

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 7 Dec 2012 18:56

You need to come to my house for Christmas Sheila, we'll change your mind ;-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Dec 2012 18:59

What you mean, believer or not? :-|

Everyone knows that father christmas is real, :-P Have you never watched Snowman :-S

Roy

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 7 Dec 2012 18:59

I doubt it Lynda :-D. I'm not a killjoy, just that in the past it was mostly something of a let-down and never lived up to the hype. It's OK for kids, but those that are in the family, we rarely see. I make an effort to see family all year, not just at Christmas. In fact, it's often difficult at this time of year due to the weather!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Dec 2012 19:01

I find it hard since my OH died - not the same any more - sorry to be a misery

Island

Island Report 7 Dec 2012 19:05

Not really, no. Too much hype and too much pressure.

Being obliged to travel long distances at the darkest coldest time of year has never been my idea of fun. I much prefer to see my people in the summer and enjoy long lunches and dinner outside.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 7 Dec 2012 19:08

I agree Sylvia, if there wasn't Christmas in December, it'd be pretty dim wouldn't it? Where I live loads of people decorate the outside of there houses with lights, father Christmas', snowmen, angels all sorts, some go completely over the top, the children love it :-D

I agree Roy :-D

I don't do all the hype bit, Sheila, so I'm never let down. I'm off to a concert in Trafalgar Square tomorrow, can't wait to see the tree :-D

I can understand that Ann, I know it's not an easy time for anyone who has lost a loved one :-(

Good for you Stephen, lovely thing to do :-D

I don't have to travel Island, my kids live round the corner, and we fetch Father in law, a few days before :-)

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 7 Dec 2012 19:14

NO.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 7 Dec 2012 19:16

I think for a lot of people Xmas is a sad time....especially for people that have lost their loved ones like AnnC. I lost my mum some years ago and that first Xmas was very painful for me and Dad......but every year since we have raised our glasses to the wonderful mum that made every Xmas so special.....so Ann raise your glass to all the lovely memories.....this year am looking forward to seeing my grandchildren enjoying the day.....My grandson said this morning....Nan I love your house its all cosy and sparkly......makes it all worthwhile really! :-)

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 7 Dec 2012 19:17

The whole concept alienates so many people,the homeless. the aged etc there are more suicides than at any other time of the year.
I could go on but some enjoy christmas

Barbinsglos

Barbinsglos Report 7 Dec 2012 19:19

Not the same for me now.

In the good times it was my mum his mum young kids and a good family time.

Now the mums are "long gone " and missed terribly. The kids are all grown with grown kids of their own all doing their own thing.

We get visits on Boxing day but I think without little ones the magic is gone.
Although we get an invite for lunch from my son and d. in law we prefer it on our own. Not being miserable by declining but thats how we want it.

Pretty table and all the trimmings with me saying " pull the cracker and put your damn hat on LOL
Oh forgot, tea at sons xmas eve.

New Years Eve I sob for England

GinN

GinN Report 7 Dec 2012 19:21

There has always been a festival in December; long before Christmas, the Pagans have celebrated Yuletide at the Winter Solstice, to welcome the return of the sun, and to lift the gloom of the dark days. That is what it's all about for me, but commercialsim has ruined it.
But I always get swept along with the exitement of the season, put up the decorations and enjoy the festivities when they come. How you celebrate , or not, it's a personal thing.

Happy Yuletide!

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 7 Dec 2012 19:29

My Mums birthday is just after Christmas Ann, so the first Christmas without her was not so hot, but I know she would of hated me being miserable, so, like you, I raised a glass and thought of all the great times, and there were so many :-D

Uzzi, You could perhaps do as Stephen does, and help the homeless, maybe go to a shelter to help serve dinner, or you could invite a lonely person to your hose for dinner? I had a houseful of people one year, one who had nobody in this Country, and a family, who had some problems, plus a couple of foster children, plus the usual family. I had to hire chairs and an extra table, we had a great time, well worth the extra work :-D

New years a bit tearful for me too Barb, it's my birthday on the 1st, and if I wasn't with my Mum she'd phone me as the clock struck 12, still miss those calls :-(

Geordie, I put my decorations up yesterday, really early for me, but got them in from the garage, and had time to spare so put them up, love the Christmas lights, on a miserable evening, makes me feel good, easily pleased me :-D

You keep at it Stephen :-D

Island

Island Report 7 Dec 2012 19:44

Very nice not to travel Lynda but my OH and I had to do 2 x 100 each way trips within Christmas week or life would not have been worth living. :-( :-(

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 7 Dec 2012 19:53

Lynda....it really is a pain like no other. My heart always lurches when picking a special xmas card for my lovely dad....and not my mum & dad....blubbering in WH Smiths is not cool! :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Dec 2012 20:06

I love Christmas, we spend some Christmases with daughter (like this year), and some with son, and some we choose to stay at home. I love the decorations, the carols and the Christmas music, buying and wrapping presents, making and writing cards.
My lovely Dad died on Christmas Day 2001 so at 5pm we raise a glass to him and remember how he and my mum who loved Christmas gave us some lovely times.

And yes I believe in the meaning of Christmas too and the nativity scene is part of my decorations. :-)

Robert

Robert Report 7 Dec 2012 20:10

Ask anyone who has a birthday on Christmas Day. Do they enjoy Christmas?