General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whether you're a believer or not...

Page 2 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 10 Dec 2012 13:17

Like Ann not the same since OH died, wish I could go to bed in Nov and sleep through to Jan, I've got a friend who feels the same way, I'm alright on the day though I think its just the lead up, I just say to myself its just one day out of 365

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Dec 2012 13:27

Sorry to hear that you, like Ann find it a hard time Linda. I suspect it is the excitement and anticipation of other people that makes you feel sad. Enjoy the day though and remember the good times.

Merlin

Merlin Report 10 Dec 2012 13:32

If I get the time I enjoy it as much as I can,other than that its just routine.**M**.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 10 Dec 2012 13:50

Well I'm a believer but I don't like Christmas. Nothing to do with the faith aspect at all, just that my daughter has asperger's and it's a nightmare at times.

Folk with autism can't cope with changes to their routine and the hype that goes on. We've had some right royal ding dongs over the festive season I can tell you!

I've seen lots of advice from various autism sites about how to help children and people with this condition and it takes quite a bit of thought to make it work.

Also, her birthday is at the end of December and then we have New Year's Eve so.......arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh ..... it's all too much for her (and me).

I just love 6th January when it's all over...... :-D :-D :-D

Libby

Libby Report 10 Dec 2012 14:49

I love Christmas although the older I get the harder the build up becomes. The Day itself I thoroughly enjoy.

These days I feel like it's my third time around. The first being my own memories as a child. My lovely Mum and Dad always gave us great Christmas's although they probably did without themselves an awful lot because I know money was tight.

The second time was with my own children, feel like I got an extra shot at it because my youngest is 12 and 13 years younger than my older two.

My daughter and I now live with my youngest son and his gorgeous 4 year old daughter. Now my third time around.

Since we moved to Conwy in 1995 Christmas Eve is my favourite time. Early evening the local children for miles around meet up in the Square for a candlelit Carole service followed by their candle parade to the Castle. Here sweets and fruit are handed out to the children. Then wonder of wonders .... Santa arrives on the Castle walls. After reading out the children's letters he had received via special post boxes dotted aound the area during December he wishes them a Happy Christmas and says he will do his best to leave the presents they have asked for but not to be too disappointed if he doesn't succeed because he can't always make everything.

I never tire of the looks of wonder on the kiddies faces, even the older children love it.

Magic

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Dec 2012 14:58

Libby, that is strange. I was only thinking a couple of days ago that I have had three types of Christmas: As a Child, as a Mum and as A Nana, all much enjoyed. :-D