General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Culinary Disasters...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Dec 2012 11:53

...on Feast/Special Days?

The most recent one of mine was while preparing a Beef Wellington – I forgot to take the plastic netting off the partially cooked joint before putting the pastry etc around it. :-(

What was yours?

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Dec 2012 12:05

I was eeking leftovers so it wasnot important. Had made some vegetable soup from what was wilting in the veg rack.

Having put it through the sieve I thought I might see what I could do with the sievings.

I have a big jar of some Polish seasoning that Lidl were selling andI tried to use that but opened the wrong side and tipped a shovelful in. It was bloody horrible!

I also decided that flapjacks didn't need sugar because they had syrup in.WRONG!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Dec 2012 12:09

Oh Yuck! Almost as bad as sprinkling salt instead of sugar onto pancakes

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Dec 2012 12:36

Not us but:
Went to dinner with some ex neighbours and when the host carved the chicken the giblets were still inside.
At home I know when dinner is ready because at that point the smoke alarm goes off (only joking : most of the time ! )

Foggy

Foggy Report 8 Dec 2012 12:38

All my cooking seems to be a disaster

Foggy

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 8 Dec 2012 13:19

Mine was many years ago when we were having a dinner party. On the table was a candelabra with blue candles.

Just begun main course when I noticed the gravy boat had been placed close to the candles and blue grease was dripping merrily into the boat. I grabbed it quickly, luckily I had lots of spare gravy and then explained to guests why sudden departure!

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 8 Dec 2012 16:14

Last Christmas, for once we had the whole family together with husbands and wives at home plus our brand new Grand daughter. They had all sat on our bed and had their stockings and then we went down for presents around the tree. Husband and daughter in law had made teas and coffees and so I hadn't been into the kitchen.

Presents done, around 10.30, I went to make the traditional family breakfast of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon only to realise that I had completely forgotten about the turkey and the huge 20 pounder I had was still sitting in the fridge in the garage waiting for his two pounds of stuffing.

Needless to say, lunch was a wee bit late. M

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Dec 2012 16:27

In the early 80s daughter and her then new husband were spending Christmas with us. Came to the pudding which I microwaved to heat up. But I left it whole and microwaved it for too long, it was burning from the inside and very very hot. I opened the patio doors and threw it out into the snow, it was so hard it bounced all the way down the garden.

Which reminds me of the first time he ever came for a meal, we had meringue nests for pudding with fruit. I put my spoon in to cut mine and it shot onto the floor.

Lucky he had a sense of humour, lovely lad, but they divorced. (Nothing to do with my cooking I might add :-D)

Maryanna

Maryanna Report 8 Dec 2012 16:34

Sorry Annie but you had meringue nests for WHAT ??? M :-S

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Dec 2012 16:41

The S and D are next to each other on the keyboard !
Reminds me of a paper I did for a Board meeting. Our chairman was a Mrs Fuller. The L and K are also adjacent ! Good job she had a sense of humour !

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 8 Dec 2012 16:45

Brian that also brings to mind - many years ago instead of typing sec. to Managing Director - well the x is beside the c.

Phyll

Phyll Report 8 Dec 2012 17:09

I remember my poor Mum who had really bad eyesight. She gave my dad toast and supposedly marmalade for breakfast only she had opened a jar of mincemeat. He ate it and never said a word.

GinN

GinN Report 8 Dec 2012 18:46

When our daughter was about 5 years old, she thought she'd surprise us with breakfast in bed.
We were presented with bread, blue with mould as we'd put it aside to throw out, spread with nearly a whole jar of Marmite, and to wash it down, undiluted orange squash. Well, we did our best with it!
Thankfully, she's grown up to be a very good cook :-D

Sue

Sue Report 8 Dec 2012 19:24

My daughter had just recently become a vegetarian, so when we had some visitors for a mea l, i made two lemon cheesecakes, but instead of using gelatine, daughter said to use a vegetarian alternative. They looked very nice, but when i came to serve out they went splat on the plate. A complete mess.
I have never made another cheesecake again.!!!!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 8 Dec 2012 20:23

Family - inlaws - for lunch. Had tried to tidy up my oldfashioned open-shelf kitchen with nice storage jars.

Come the pudding - apple crumble - I'd made the crumble with salt instead of sugar.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 8 Dec 2012 20:48

Like you Maryanna there was a time our Christmas dinner was seriously late to the table.

This was in 1960 and me and my sister were about to cook our first Christmas meal for our dad and brother. Being novice cooks we'd given it a lot of thought and planning,wanting it to be really special.
We'd bought a big chicken,then going by the recipe book stuffed, and 'dressed' it and put it into the oven......but a few minutes later there was a power-cut.!!....and after a long time, when the electricity was restored, we managed to serve dinner as I remember about 7.30pm.
Of course it had affected the whole street so next day we were told it had been an evening banquet :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Dec 2012 21:13

Sorry I have edited.

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Dec 2012 21:27

When freezers were a novelty my neighbour bought one and filled it with home made produce.

Being new to the process she made all the pies the same and served the family rhubarb pie with vegetables and gravy.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Dec 2012 21:57

well twice now I've done this - to make really nice gravy for the turkey, use the carcass with bouquet garnis, a carrot, onion, whole pepper corns and seasoning - simmer to get all the flavours out and then strain - sadly strained straight down the sink rather than into a jug!!!!

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 8 Dec 2012 22:43

Made biscuits once .... so much better if I'd added that white powdery stuff as well :-S