General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christmas cards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Dec 2012 12:53

A link with friends, conveyors of good news etc. So far this year, one card has told of a good friend having had a stroke some time ago (friends we are in yearly contact with). And one today has told of the recent death of a second cousin. I shall start to dread opening cards now. :-(

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Dec 2012 12:58

I've just discovered that my cousin's son was chosen to carry the Olympic torch through his home town; my cousin has had an op on her feet and is much happier and her grandson is loving university.

Sometimes it's good news, Ann, although we usually dread opening them as well.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Dec 2012 13:06

Yes Gwynne, I have actually had about 20 not bearing bad news, not all have letters or notes in but at least having received them I know they are still with us :-D

It is very strange because the cousin who has died, last year I didn't get a card from her so was worried, but it turned out she had got confused with her list - She wrote to me in August to tell me after I contacted her a couple of times to find out. She was 79, lived alone, suffered badly from osteoarthritis and was getting a bit forgetful. Then apparently after she wrote, she had a fall, went to hospital and died from complications after an op. Her daughter didn't know to let me know until she found the Christmas letter from me last week.

She only 'found' me in the 80s when we were both working on our tree. Her Grandfather was my Grandfather's brother. She helped a lot with that branch of the tree.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Dec 2012 13:08

It's sad when Christmas brings a new loss. As I get older it happens more often.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Dec 2012 13:30

Yes, I have lost two of the cousins who were older than me, just one older one left now and he is 90. They were all on my Mum's side, those on my father's side (5 of them) are all younger than me. Still one elderly aunt alive in her late 80s early 90s.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 10 Dec 2012 15:33

Each year my card list both for birthdays/christmas becomes smaller.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Dec 2012 15:38

Me too I should be careful what I wish for when bemoaning the number of stamps I need!! :-(

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 10 Dec 2012 18:51

Just received a card from an old work colleague with sad news of the deaths of two of our work mates in the last year.

So sad