General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Some firm's got a very old list

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Dec 2012 20:53

Just had a phone call from someone wating to speak to my daughter's ex boyfriend.
He hasn't lived here for over FOUR years!!!
Anyhoo, she asked to speak to him, I just said he didn't live here and put the phone down..
Then I felt guilty, it could have been an Italian relly trying to get in touch, so did 1471, got the number and googled it
No - it's just PPI scammers again - but their list is a bit out of date!!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Dec 2012 23:13

I took over the phone number from the previous owners of this house.

Keep getting phone calls asking for them even after 11 years. The caller has always got an Indian accent and will not tell me who they are from.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Dec 2012 23:26

i get letters from the DWP
for somebody who lived here 50 years ago and emigrated :-D

Berona

Berona Report 13 Dec 2012 01:46

Throwing unwanted mail in the bin is not going to let the sender know that the addressee no longer lives there - and they will continue to send to the only address they know.

It's simple to write something like "not known at this address" or "return to sender - no longer here" etc. then re-post in any posting box - no extra postage - and the Dead Letter Office should do the rest.

Mind you - I have found that when I've returned mail to the sender - they don't all change their mailing list, and it becomes a waste of time. However, some organisations are more diligent, so it's worth a try.

I sold my house and moved six years ago, but stayed within the same telephone district, so took my number with me.
During the processing period, the lady who bought the house obtained my phone number (even though it was not listed) and proceeded to advise everybody she knew what her new number was going to be.....I'm still getting calls asking for her.