General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Times when you need a hug

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 15 Dec 2012 09:20

My friend has just posted this to me after visiting her mum in a nursing home .It has brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face .

Bent down to kiss mam as I left her in the dining room at tea time. 'Love you' I said to her. She looked at me, no reply. So I said it again 'love you'. She said "I love you too and I don't even know who you are!' I said 'I'm Julie!'. She said 'oh I've got a Julie!'. 'I am your Julie, I'm Julie Jones!' I said. Her eyes lit up 'Are you? That's good. How long for?'. 'All my life pet' I replied. It's getting tough.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 15 Dec 2012 09:59

God bless you and your mum:))

and of course here are some ((((((((HUGS))))))))
jude x

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 15 Dec 2012 10:03

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hazelx

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 15 Dec 2012 11:16

BIG HUGS to you Stehanie. :-) :-) :-)

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 15 Dec 2012 12:48

Hugs to your friend Julie and her mother, Stephanie, and a few hugs for you too.

At least Julie's mum knows that someone loves her, it sounds like she had been a wonderful mother, and Julie must be a great daughter too.

It does sound tough though. Perhaps if something like it happens again, Mum can talk about her memories of "her Julie" while Julie can listen and join in where possible.

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 15 Dec 2012 15:47

This is so sad for your friend Stephanie, I know exactly how she feels.My mother had no idea who I was already some years before she died.
So, a hug for your friend and one for you.Bless you both and your friend's mother. Take care.

Eileen xx

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 15 Dec 2012 16:22

I will certainly pass the hugs on to Julie and accept the ones sent for me .xx

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 15 Dec 2012 16:25

How seeet and how very sad, but happlily the dear lady is loved and cared for. Hugs coming your way to yo,u your friend and her Mom.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 15 Dec 2012 17:01

Been there myself, now I miss Mum horribly since she died last Boxing Day. :-(

But I firmly believe that although Alzheimers and other forms of dementia try their hardest to slowly take those we love from us, a tiny part of them will always be there, knowing we love them, feeling our kisses and hugs.

The mother child bond is the strongest one on the planet, in my opnion anyway.

That thought was about the only thing saving my sanity whilst I watched the struggle Mum was going through.

((((((HUGS)))))))) by the million to your friend and you too for posting on her behalf <3
xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Dec 2012 17:16

((((((hugs)))))) to your friend and to her Mum Stephanie. She said her Mum's eyes lit up so, at that moment, her Mum was happy to be with 'her' Julie which is a nice thought.

((((((hugs)))))) to you too for sharing what is a nice little story too. <3

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Dec 2012 17:24

At least the sufferer is largely unaware of their condition.
A dear friend I'd known from early teens died at 62 from Parkinsons. She was mentally 100% right to the end but spent 10 years with her body deteriorating and becoming totally dependent on her husband.
Not a quality of life that I would wish to endure.

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 15 Dec 2012 17:28

Never give up as to whether or not someone with Alzheimer's knows who is talking to or simple sitting with them. It has been proven that even though we may think that the person cannot hear, recall etc be aware of what is happening and touching gently, speaking clearly without shouting can often beheard and understood.
This was the area of work that I enjoyed the most whilst I was working as a nurse.
Touch each other, talk to each other, reminisce with each other and most of all love each other, smell the flowers, smell the perfume or soaps etc etc.

The chat between mother & daughter is a sure sign of just how much they mean to each other.

Bridget who cannot stop being a nurse even though she retired nearly two years ago!

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 15 Dec 2012 17:33

Like so many others I have also been along that pathway with my mom, so I will send many hugs to your friend and her mother and the same again to you.

xxxxxxx <3

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 15 Dec 2012 18:10

Its so lovely to get all these messages , thank you xx

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 15 Dec 2012 18:14

Brian I uderstand that too, my Dad suffered a stroke and spent his last days understanding everything going on around him and only able to blink .......he did one blink for yes and two for no .

That, to me, was a horrendous end for a wonderful man.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 15 Dec 2012 20:28

Brian . nobody wishes for Parkinsons but if we get it, like I have, you get on with your life to the best of your ability . When I was dx 6 years ago a young friend was diagnosed with cancer and said to me swap you ! we went to her funeral 6 months later . I can live with Parkinsons .

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Dec 2012 22:16

Stephanie, I wish you well and am pleased that your disease has not progressed anywhere near to the stage that my friend's had.
Six years into it I don't think she would have been able to operate a computer.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 15 Dec 2012 23:04

Nobody knows what the future might bring , thank god ! Everyone is an individual and unique in their own special way and the same thing goes in how an illness or weakness effects certain people , No two people react the same .and that's what makes life so interesting even if sometimes what we get isn't what we want.
I think I better stop now as i'm waffling , lol ..give a smile to someone , they will either smile back or think your crazy !