General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shopping manic day

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2012 12:58

For some reason best known to ourselves we decided to do a small shop today, we needed a new iron as ours packed up yesterday so off we went to Tescos at 10.15. Well I have never seen so many cars in the car park - which is huge it being a Tesco Extra store. We were lucky as we drove down one parking road a lady indicated she was returning to her car and we drove straight in and it was right by the entrance. Not too bad in the aisles because it is a well spaced out store with wide aisles but we had a bit of a wait in the queue really just behind one woman, we hadn't realised she had so much in her trolly. Luckily she was very quick at packing all her £257 pounds worth into at least 15 tesco carriers, noy one re-use bag in sight. Anyway, despite stopping for cofffee we were still home by 11,30 so not too bad. Shan't go shopping again now before christmas. :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 21 Dec 2012 13:45

Same as at ours this morning, Some people would need a Truck to carry all the stuff they bought.**M**

GinN

GinN Report 21 Dec 2012 13:54

Went to Sainbury's at 8.10 this morning, on a turkey and sprout hunt. Luckily it was pretty quiet, and we easily got everything we wanted.

No more shopping now until after Christmas. If we've forgotten anything, it's tough luck! Anyway, the 13 different types of cheese we've accumulated should keep us going - how on earth have we managed that? :-0

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 21 Dec 2012 14:05

I went to our local farm shop for bread, ice cream and a few odds and ends. Got there at 9am when it opened and it was very busy with people collecting meat, hampers etc. Nothing else to do now except milk and veg on Monday - will go out about 7.30am to get it over and done with!!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Dec 2012 14:15

Rather you than me. I am not a happy shopper at the best of times and crowds knocking me about gives my OH trolley rage :-P

He is picking up a dozen last items today and will bring them to the house tomorrow after he finishes work and drives back here. I just order via the telephone from my armchair :-D

What we don't have by now we don't need :-D

Julia

Julia Report 21 Dec 2012 14:25

Just, bread, milk and salad, which OH will get Monday when he fetches the morning papers.
I'm abit housebound at the mo.

Julia in Derbyshire

wisechild

wisechild Report 21 Dec 2012 14:35

All done apart from collecting the turkey on Monday morning.
WW3 broke out this morning when I said I needed to go to a certain supermarket to buy sprouts. Why go just for 1 item? Because I can´t get them anywhere else. They are as rare as hens teeth in Menorca & we have got English visitors coming for lunch, so they are essential.
Only served to convice OH that the English are completely batty.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Dec 2012 14:43

He could be right Wisechild. :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 21 Dec 2012 14:48

As there were no suitable delivery slots availabe, I took myself to the supermarket today.
Armed with a list, it took almost 3 hours to get it all done.
Finally got home and packed it all away
One or two things to get early on Monday, and like everyone else, if there's anything that I have forgotten...... it's tough ... for we will certainly not starve!

Edit
Just for the record, I used ALL my own bags.

Cheers Everyone!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Dec 2012 15:03

I love sprouts but only eat them at Christmas. My husband (we are both English) says they are the devil's food, but virtuously buys them for me each year when he does the big Christmas shop (alone!).
He may have a point:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/7813758.stm

Jan