General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

so today we made a Dundee cake

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Dec 2012 19:15

OH likes to do cooking for Xmas, His mince pies are gorgeous the pastry is divine.

I have a lovely recipe for a Dundee cake that is foolproof and have made it loads of times.

He decided he wasnt up to mince pies but wanted to make the Dundee so I got all new ingredients.

I said if you want me to help just say so and started. I got all the ingrediants together and he was a bit lost . i said do you want me to do the weighing out and he was OK with that . well between us ( me doing more) we got all the ingredients in the mixing bowl and then between us we creamed it all together.

I asked do you want me to line the baking tin? Yes he did so its was done and he put the mixture in and did the almonds on top.

It has had 3hours cookng and looks and smells gorgeous. I have said to him see you are still able!! he has accepted that although to be truthful I did most of it. I wouldnt want to take anything away from him and his confidence

Susan-nz

Susan-nz Report 21 Dec 2012 19:36

Good for you Shirley,

Enjoy your lovely cake.

Susan

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Dec 2012 20:18

I don't know what your husband's problem is Shirley but I have included my dad in marmalade making by adapting the recipe a bit and getting him to do what he could with the food processor.

There is always a way to disguise any mistakes they may make.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Dec 2012 20:56

Sharron he has been diagnosed with early Alzheimer's. he also has Lewy Body Dementia that gives him Parkinson type problems with balance and hand shakes.

He is having problems with words , he starts a conversation and 4+words in he cant remember what he was going to say.

Is on a new med /now 4 months down the line. that has given positive results for his condition in that there is often an initial improvement and then the progresion of the dementia is slowed down considerably

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Dec 2012 21:05

It doesn't really matter what the problem is does it. The really vital bit is to feel useful.

ann

ann Report 21 Dec 2012 22:20

Shirley how life becomes hard.My dad is now 84 and has always been very very intellegent.He still knows what is going on and his mind is still fast.His body has given out instead and he cant walk and falls over if he stands.He has had some awful injuries and ended up in hospital.So pleased your hubby was able to help make the dundee cake and hope you both enjoy eating it.xx