General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what is your favorite xmas bake

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 24 Dec 2012 02:14

i have done my christmas bake. sausage rolls, mince pies and butterfly cakes ,they wont last long. they are much better than shop bought ones. i just love the baking but not the washing up since i got rid of the dishwasher.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Dec 2012 02:41

My favourite is one that lasts more than half a day.

I spent this morning baking (and hanging out washing). I've already had a couple of baking days. I start cooking the turkey in a few hours. btw I'm in Oz, it's 1.40pm here.

I made four cakes & five flans/quiches.

OH came home about half an hour ago.

I now have three cakes & 4 flans.

He was hungry!!

:-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2012 02:42

We made three Christmas cakes.mince pies.vege sausage rolls to take to a quiz night and some biscuits I concocted from grating up some marzipan left over from last year and found in the tin with the icing and decorations.

The mincemeat is two years old I think. the last time we had enough green tomatoes left over to make a fair sized batch.

The cakes had all the left over bits of dried fruit in the cupboard soaked in some cider I bought because I thought I wanted to drink it and didn't and a bit of rum left in the bottom of a bottle.

What fruit was left from doing the cakes was mixed with the mincemeat and a few more dregs,brandy this time.

A friend made us some chocolates so we made her some shortbread.

Made some tarts with the last of the pastry with an egg and grated cheese ends.

Bought some cranberries in Lidl to make sauce. OH likes it on his turkey but my dad doesn't and could not have any anyway with his warfarin but I like it with Stilton.

Neither of us has ever made bread sauce and we are toying with the idea rather than open a packet because bead sauce is my Christmas. I love it!

Jean

Jean Report 24 Dec 2012 03:01

that sounds yummy. i have never made bread sauce. but i just love cheese . i have an old recipe for homemade mincemeat, will post when i have the time it can be frozen and its gorg on icecream...happy christmas to all in oz.

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Dec 2012 03:09

I am not in Oz.I am just wide awake.

The cheese tarts are of my own devising. So easy but delicious.

You just grate up what cheese you have hanging and mix it with an egg and dollop it in uncooked pastry cases.Then you cook them like jam tarts.

GinN

GinN Report 24 Dec 2012 16:09

My favourite part of Christmas cooking is devising ways of using all the leftovers. Curries, pasta dishes, quiches.....and those cheese tarts sound good. We've bought 13 different cheeses, so think I'll give them a go!

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 24 Dec 2012 16:19

Sharron I like the cheese tarts does that work with soft and hard cheeses? I have loads of different cheeses in my fridge at the moment (went silly at an artisan market, so I haved smoked and hickory, goats, soft, hard, applewood smoked.upps).

Jean

Jean Report 25 Dec 2012 00:04

sharron, i will be making your cheese tarts with whatever bits of cheese are left. think i will also add a bit of onion....its making me hungry.