General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Diabetes Advice for the Christmas Break

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron2

Ron2 Report 25 Dec 2012 21:16

DIABETES ADVICE FOR CHRISTMAS BREAK
Tips to help diabetes patients in Yorkshire cope with their condition during Christmas have been put together by a health charity.
Diabetes UK suggests people should avoid often expensive foods labelled as 'diabetic' and keep active by taking a wintery walk or doing housework to work off extra calories.
Linda Wood, Diabetes UK Northern & Yorkshire regional manager, said: "Christmas can feel like a daunting prospect for the 2.9 million people living with diabetes in the UK, but having the condition doesn't mean traditional festive foods are forbidden. Like everyone else, the occasional high fat or high sugar food like mince pies or Christmas pudding can be included as part of a healthy diet.
"To help people manage their diabetes over the Christmas season Diabetes UK has put together a special section on our website which is packed with tips and guidance, as well as great recipes.
"There is also handy advice about food at parties, safe guidelines for alcohol consumption and information on how to choose healthier options of your favourite Christmas dishes, nibbles and treats.
"Diabetes UK is also recommending that people with diabetes and their family and friends shouldn't be tempted to buy 'diabetic' foods such as 'diabetic'
Christmas cake or 'diabetic' chocolate. Diabetic foods offer no special benefit to people with diabetes and will still affect blood glucose levels. These foods contain just as much fat and calories as the ordinary versions, can have a laxative effect and can be expensive. It makes much more sense to have small amounts of ordinary festive foods instead and balance this with healthier recipes and snacks."
The full advice is available at www.diabetes.org.uk.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 26 Dec 2012 10:52

Hello Ronald. Merry Boxing Day. We have survived our first Christmas since OH was diagnosed, so far things have gone extemely well, much better than I expected. Christmas dinner was our traditional one, just more emphasis on the veggies, less alcohol, NO grazing inbetween meals. Thank you for your advice, I am still using some of your recipes.

Paula

Ron2

Ron2 Report 27 Dec 2012 21:56

Nice to know your hubby doing OK Paula and you like the recipes. Had our annual all day breakfast for lunch in caff on sea front at Cleethorpes yesterday. I thought I was very good and had toast lieu of fried bread. Thought that should be celebrated so had jam rolly polley and custard in lieu! lol Been many a year since had that. Then did a very brisk walk along front then coastal path to Humberston and back so sugar was used up as was a cold day. Pre breakfast bloods this morning were 6.2 tho yesterday morning they were 5.7. Pub lunch with family and friends on Saturday for my 72nd but after that I'll be back on usual diet. Enjoy rest of festive season and a Happy New Year to both of you

Julia

Julia Report 28 Dec 2012 08:03

Kept well within my limits even though I had a proper Christmas dinner but less of it. Very little alcohol, just enough to say I had a drink with my dinner. No cream,and just a couple of Quality Street, to be sociable.
I have already had a letter from GP about annual blood and urine tests in a couple of weeks.
No rest for the Diabetic.

Julia in Derbyshire

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 28 Dec 2012 20:28

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ronald fried bread I have not eaten fried bread for years and years. Now, that has just made my mouth water, I can almost taste it :-(

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 28 Dec 2012 20:34

Well I have been diabetic on Insulin for 14 yrs. normally on quite a good regime, but Christmas what the hell, compensated and pleased to say levels were well on par.

Carol ;-)