General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Similar thought - different perspective

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Dec 2012 20:34

My younger daughter & her husband live in a rented ex farm labourers cottage. The only form of heating is a woodburning stove.
I haven't given them my presents yet (will be seeing them on 28th), but son-in-law's parents have given them a convector heater.

I'm giving them a humungous axe :-D

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 26 Dec 2012 21:04

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 26 Dec 2012 21:05

Will in in-laws pay the electricity bill?

I'd go with the axe :-D

Sue

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 Dec 2012 21:08

Reminds me of the sketch, featuring a vacuum cleaner salesman, and the gas mantle!!

Bob

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 26 Dec 2012 21:12

In their place (having lived in similar) I would prefer the axe :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Dec 2012 21:24

Have to admit, when me and daughter's dad lived in similar circumstances, we had a calor gas heater - at least we knew how much gas we were using!!

The main argument when we split up - was the long hickory -handled axe :-D
He took it - and left me the one used for kindling :-P

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Dec 2012 22:21

Somebody will nrrd to make them some of those big sausages too,for under the doors.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Dec 2012 23:08

Oooh Sharron - Daughters Birthday in January - do you think she'll appreciate it?? :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 26 Dec 2012 23:22

Feminine fripperies.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Dec 2012 00:09

:-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 27 Dec 2012 00:18

A chainsaw/?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Dec 2012 00:25

Well, they ARE surrounded by trees, but I don't think the landlady would be too pleased if they felled them all :-D

K

K Report 27 Dec 2012 05:37

Our only heating is a wood burner as well but they are brilliant. I cultivate a hobby of log spotting when on walks or in the car :-D

A log splitter is always useful or a log basket

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Dec 2012 08:47

Hi K,
They have a log basket - one of a few I had :-S

The axe has a 'splitter' part at the top, and a lovely long handle for maximum swinging power :-D
What they need (and I can't provide) is a decent chopping 'block'.

I always find it funny, that, at agricultural shows, there's always a queue to chop logs!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Dec 2012 10:51

I would think that the man who sells them logs might be able to get them a chopping block.He would know the people who cut down trees.

K

K Report 27 Dec 2012 11:33

Axe sounds great We usually use a large solid log or rather piece of tree as a chopping block. I presume they aren't near Worcester/Hereford as we could give them a good one?

We have most problem finding kindling since the local saw mill stopped selling offcuts.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Dec 2012 14:28

Hi Sharron - brilliant idea!

Hi K,
We used a large piece of tree too. I'm afraid they're in Sussex.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Dec 2012 16:08

How awful for them!