General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MEMORIES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 1 Jan 2013 09:13

PURTULA CLARK LAST NIGHT BOUGHT A FEW MEMORIES BACK;
AND SHE LOOKS REALLY GOOD
I USED TO LOVE HER RECORD DOWNTOWN

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jan 2013 09:30

Met her once when she was signing records in a shop where my Dad was the manager.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Jan 2013 09:39

Pointed her out to OH and he said blimey i thought she was long gone!!!.

She looks good especially for her age of 80

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 1 Jan 2013 11:03

Wiki describes her (aka Olwen Clark) as an "English" singer.

Several times on Radio Wales this last week I have heard her being interviewed about her Welsh roots. She really loves Wales and her roots seem to be from quite near to Aberfan (where over 100 children were buried in slurry in 1966).

She mentions that her mother was from Abercanaid (surname Phillips)

Fabulous singer, fabulous person. 80!!!! Still makes my pulse race :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Jan 2013 11:14

Well, she appears to have been brought up in England - her father was English, she was born in Surrey. Educated in England etc etc
I'm sure she has great memories of visiting Wales to see her mother's family.
But - she's half English.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 1 Jan 2013 11:22

Legally, I am sure you are right, Maggie :-D Anyone who can say Abercanaid and Pentre Bach as naturally as our Olwen and sings like as what she do is immediately entitled to her Welsh passport :-D As is OP ;-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 1 Jan 2013 11:22

I thought she looked absolutely amazing.

Hard to believe she is 80!!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Jan 2013 12:26

She was educated at the Lancastrian Girls School in Chichester and I think she may have attended Lodsworth Primary as that is where her father had the Post Office.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 1 Jan 2013 12:47

Ahhh, Lodsworth. Bet we all wish we had attended Lodsworth if it makes you look like that at 80 years of age. Possibly Switzerland helped. And even Abercanaid. :-) ;-)

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 1 Jan 2013 13:58

Oh I couldn't stand her ...LOL

She always used to do a twirl on TV in order for viewers to see the back of her dresses , it was automatic ......we used to wait for her to turn .

Quite funny really......I hated *Down Town* because if it

But she did love talking about her French hubby Patrick !.....A LOT !!! :-(

GinN

GinN Report 1 Jan 2013 16:08

I think I'm with you, Marilyn - there was always something about her I didn't like when I was young. Always seemed to be a bit of a goody goody!

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 1 Jan 2013 22:26

If I remember, her father was very pushy and she was on the stage at a very early age and never had a very normal life. I think those who show early talent and that talent gets exploited gain an awful lot - certainly financially and socially.

But they also lose out on a lot. Us umble untalented folks have quite a lot to be thankful for.

Can you imagine Petula Clark sitting on a grassy bank spotting trains and sharing sandwiches with schoolfriends? Can you imagine her with a Stuyvesant tipped and a frothy coffee in a basement cafe with all her school chums listening to Bill Hayley? I can't. It would have been a life with her parents of travel and flashing cameras. And plenty of orchestrated twirls and scripted sugary interviews.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 2 Jan 2013 16:05

When I was younger people were always telling me I looked like Petula Clark, even recently on holiday a man commented on the likeness. I hated it when I was young, but I have to say I hope I look as good as she does when I am 80. :-D

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 2 Jan 2013 16:28

As Sharron said, P C. went the Lancastrian school in Chichester( i lived oppsit the schools ). When P C. was at her height , many people of Chichester claimed to be related to her, ps. i do remember her cousin

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 2 Jan 2013 17:31

With Geordie & Marilyn on this one - PC always too sugary sweet and twee for my tastes

Remember an interview she did way back when she said she went au naturale at home and after that couldn't get the vision out of my head of her waving a feather duster in the nude :-(

jax

jax Report 2 Jan 2013 23:36

I have always liked Petula Clark

First film I saw at the cinema with a "boy" Goodbye Mr Chips...I was 12 :-D

Finians Rainbow was another good film and singing Downtown on my kareoke machine, when a little worse for wear lol

John dont believe everything you read on wikipedia Petula Clark was born in 1932 in Epsom registered as Sally Clark....No Petula or Olwen....maybe they were added afterwards? but not when she was registered

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Jan 2013 23:46

As I explained on another thread,I am related to her.Grandmother's brother's wife's brother's daughter Close eh?!.

We don't know each other and I can't even remember meeting grandmother's brother.

I think she was married at Lodsworth church.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 3 Jan 2013 00:01

The only song I liked was Sailor.

Is she really 80? Good heavens....doesn't time fly.