General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

assorted chat subjects

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan Trevor

Allan Trevor Report 2 Jan 2013 06:31

Good morning to all and I hope you all look forward to a happy New Year. This has been a special new year for me and much of it goes to the respondees of the comuniy boards. Yesterday I spoke on the phone to my cousin, not much in that I could hear you say, but until 31 December he did not know I existed! thanks to hot matches and community board input I was able to find him, or at least find his daughter. Divorce and death had resulted in families splitting up but GR hot matches and help rfom the respondees on the boards has resulted in my family being reunited.
It seems to me that the hot match system has decayed as there are no daily lists for me to follow. Have I missed a communication from GR?
Those manning the boards have been hugely helpful and I have had several short but productive pen pal friendships from here also. perhaps sometimes I have detected an irritation when have repeated a request but always even that repeat has resulted in valuable new data to use.
My tree goes back to Harry Roads in 1490, I have located my wifes Irish side (thanks Kate in Dublin). maybe one day I will find the Scollans in New York who are descendant from the siblings who went there on the SS Cameronia in the late 20's from LondonDerry.
all in all a great start to 2013.

Allan D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Jan 2013 10:04

Well done Allan. Despite the technical hitches with this site, it's still working (with the help of it's members) to Reunite families :-D

The Hot Matches used to run every 2 weeks, if memory serves. Although my names were last compared in August (with no new matches) other people have said that they have had monthly comparisons, so obviously the system is a bit flakey.

Here's to a continuing good 2013 for you!