General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greaders suggestions please for Jan/Feb 13 books

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Jan 2013 16:07

Suggestions please for two books as usual. Please not books that are too new or people in NZ and Australia may have trouble getting them and library waiting lists will be long.

Review date 16 February 2013.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Jan 2013 16:26

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

Chicago 1920: Hadley Richardson is a shy 28 year old who has all but given up on love and happiness when she meets Ernest Hemmingway and is captivated by his energy, intensity and burning ambition. After a whirlwind courtship and wedding, the pair set sail for France. But glamorous Jazz Age Paris, full of artists and writers, fuelled by alcohol and gossip, is no place for family life and fidelity. Ernest and Hadley’s marriage begins to founder, and the birth of a beloved son only drives them further apart. Then, at last, Ernest’s ferocious literary endeavours bring him recognition- not least from a woman intent on making him her own......
A novel based on truth.

The Christmas Angel by Marcia Willett

It’s just after Christmas and four year old Jakey is helping to put away the decorations. He hates seeing them disappear back in their boxes, especially the big home made angel, which has put in an appearance at family Christmases for as long as he can remember. Jakey calls her Auntie Gabriel, and she holds a big red satin heart.

But things are going to be different for Jakey this year. The Cornish home which he has known all his life is in danger of being sold up, and everything is changing for him and his family.

Will this close-knit unit, formed around the convent, who have come to depend on each other still be together next Christmas? And what will they have learnt about having somewhere you truly belong?

Michelle

Michelle Report 2 Jan 2013 19:04

Be back later in the day - need to get to work right now - Michelle

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 2 Jan 2013 19:30

SUGGEST

Jill Mansells "Thinking of you"

Jem has headed off to uni leaving her mum with a case of empty nest syndrome.
Then she gets accused of shop lifting (Mum that is). advertising for a lodge whe gets a lovelorn Laurel who only talks about her ex...but Luarels brother is charming and then Ginny (Mum) gets offered a new job..life is just beginning or is it ?

Donald Spoto "Spellbound by Beauty ..Alfred Hitchcock and his leading ladies

Hitch spoke many times about his leading ladies, but his remarks were often rude, but these beautiful womens presence enhanced his films.. This book is the final in a trilogy, this book details the tragic story of Hitch and the leading ladies he admired. Filled with fresh revelations it gives more insight into his adoration and contempt not only for them , but also for himself. It gives more of a rounded view into this powerful, eccentric and tortured man ..one who I admire...... ...If you love his films you will like me want to read this book

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Jan 2013 22:06

Nudge

Michelle

Michelle Report 3 Jan 2013 09:55

Visibility - Boris Starling

Gloomy post-World War II London is brought to life in this combo espionage tale and noir mystery from former kidnap negotiator Starling. In the winter of 1952, the Great Fog has rolled into London, shutting down most transportation routes and sickening the populace with its noxious haze. Herbert Smith, drummed out of MI5 as the patsy for a bungled Soviet spy caper, is now a detective inspector in the murder division at New Scotland Yard, where he is treated with harsh wariness by his fellow policemen. Assigned to investigate a suspicious drowning, Smith discovers that the victim, a young biochemist and son of a highly placed government official, in the hours before his death had claimed to be in possession of a discovery that could change the world.

The Hobbit - J R R Tolkien

Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely traveling any farther than his pantry or cellar. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They have launched a plot to raid the treasure hoard guarded by Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins their quest, unaware that on his journey to the Lonely Mountain he will encounter both a magic ring and a frightening creature known as Gollum.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 3 Jan 2013 10:42

Once again I will not be suggesting any books. I need to sort out which library I will be using as Birmingham Central Library is decreasing its stock of books in preparation of the move to the new building later this year.
Can only borrow books for three weeks, which can make things difficult.
The top floors are now closed, so I can't look up Elec Registers, etc.

At the moment most of my books come from a charity shop, luckily I have managed to get some really good ones.

Will be keeping my eye on this thread and trying to get suggested books from somewhere!

Happy New Year and Happy Reading to all the GReaders.

Tess

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jan 2013 15:30

Thanks Tess no problem just stay with us :-) :-)

Michelle

Michelle Report 3 Jan 2013 18:57

Nudge

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 3 Jan 2013 20:04

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

The plot, if that’s the right word, concerns the oceanic wanderings of a lost boy, the young and eager Piscine Patel of the title (Pi). After a colourful and loving upbringing in gorgeously-hued India, the Muslim-Christian-animistic Pi sets off for a fresh start in Canada. His blissful voyage is rudely interrupted when his boat is scuppered halfway across the Pacific, and he is forced to rough it in a lifeboat with a hyena, a monkey, a whingeing zebra and a tiger called Richard.

Thursdays in the Park by Hilary Boyd

What do you do if you've been married to a man for half your life and out of nowhere he leaves your bed – permanently? When this happens to Jeanie, she's furious and hurt, and determined to confront George, her husband of thirty years. Is he in love with someone else? What did she do wrong? He won't tell her.

The brightest day of her week is Thursday, the day Jeanie takes her granddaughter to the park. There, one day, she meets Ray and his grandson. Ray is kind, easy to talk to, and gorgeous – everything George isn't. She starts to live for Thursdays. But does she have the courage, in the teeth of opposition from all sides, to turn her life upside down for another shot at love?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jan 2013 20:47

Suggestions:

From Perse

Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (it is on kindle)

A charming and hilarious adventure that has it all: secret societies, unbreakable codes, underground lairs, cutting-edge technology, the googleplex...and lots of books!

My daughter said great book and very readable and modern.

One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern

After losing her mentor and editor to cancer, Irish journalist Kitty Logan sets about paying her tribute by writing the one story Constance wished she'd been able to pen before she died. But all Kitty has to go on are a list of 100 unconnected names of mostly ordinary people, and no clue from Constance as to why she wanted to write about them She concentrates on six, and finds that as she discovers more about them, she's also learning about herself. At times a little clunky but you can't help but appreciate Ahern's message, which becomes clear only in the final few chapters.

Berona

Berona Report 3 Jan 2013 23:33

Lost Innocence ....by Susan Lewis

When Alicia Carlyle returns to the home of her childhood after the tragic death of her husband, she is hoping to put the past behind her. But first she must come face to face with the woman who nearly destroyed her marriage and tore her family in two – her sister-in-law, Sabrina. Their enmity runs deep, but Alicia is determined to make a fresh start for herself and her two children, Nathan and Darcie, and to heal her fractured relationship with her beloved brother. However, just when it looks as if they might have a chance at a brighter future, Sabrina’s fifteen-year-old daughter, Annabelle, accuses seventeen-year-old Nathan of a crime he insists he didn’t commit. And once more the two families are locked in a battle that is fraught with mistrust, betrayal and lies – a battle that threatens to destroy them all…

Whose Life is it Anyway....Sinaid Moriarty

It's tricky for Niamh O'Flaherty, growing up in a North London home that's a shrine to all things Irish. But it's even trickier being an adult and realising that her family expect her to settle down with a nice Irish lad, especially now that she's living in Dublin.
When Niamh finally meets the love of her life he is the last person she would expect to fall for her. Pierre is older and an intellectual, but she loves his ability to laugh at himself, his calmness and strength of character, and, of course, his stunning looks.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2013 09:55

Thanks Berona, I think I am just waiting for Jill now. Will check back later as I have PMd her. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2013 12:22

Wonder where Jill is?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2013 12:43

Tess as an aside Perse says: you can also tell Tess that I liked Echo... I have read a few of the Harry Bosch stories by Michael Connolley..
.....and the other one to read is Lee Child's - Jack Reacher novels..

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 4 Jan 2013 13:13

Thanks Perse and Ann.
I will look out for books by Lee Childs too.

:-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2013 16:20

Well, I PMd Jill yesterday, I have not seen her on here or on FB and she hasn't replied to the PM. either she is away, very busy or (I hope not) unwell. I think I will go ahead with the vote as I know Jill won't mind.