General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No Sweets, Cakes, Biscuits

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 2 Jan 2013 19:30

Had a telling off from the doctor on 18th December, cholesterol was really high, had to come of the cakes and biscuits and fatty stuff since then.

Cant believe I got through Christmas without anything resembling a mince pie, chocs or the like etc., with my little sweet tooth, which was getting seriously out of control.

Feel so proud of myself, as the sweet, sickly things are like cigarettes to a smoker, still getting bad cravings, especially when hungry but I am fighting them ...... and winning, and the bonus is I have lost half a stone. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Pamela

Pamela Report 2 Jan 2013 20:05

Congratulations on your will power over Christmas, apparently you only need 21 days of abstinence to overcome the cravings (don't know how true that is cos it never worked for me) but keep it up and you will have a happy doctor at your next visit.
Pam
P.s, please send me some of your will power as my doctor is also unhappy about my sweet tooth.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 2 Jan 2013 20:07

Thanks Pam, have to go for another blood test tomorrow, I am going to win this thing, and I`ll send you some will power first class tomorrow, if I can do it, anyone can!! :-D :-D :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 2 Jan 2013 21:17

Congratulations to you, you must be very proud of yourself. I completely agree that sweet thing can be an addiction. If I have an unopened box of chocolates they can stay like that for weeks, just a box of chocolates but once I have opened them they change into delicious tempting orange creams, nut whirls, vanilla fudge etc and as soon as I eat the first one I can't stop until they are all gone!!

I don't buy chocolate anymore but I can't seem to convince other people not to buy them for me for presents. I had six boxes for Christmas and finished the last box this morning!

Tomorrow I am back on the diet. Pleased I lost some weight before Christmas or it would be even worse now. My annual medical check up is due in a couple of weeks.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 2 Jan 2013 21:32

MY hubby"s cholesterol was 9.1 very high,he went on a diet for 6wks and lost just over 2 stone,cholesterol now nearly normal..

keep up the good work,you will be as right as rain in no time.x :-D

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 2 Jan 2013 22:34

Thanks everyone, really pleased with myself. Tried to cut down so many times but in a good way, this is just what I needed. Even managing to say no when people say go on just one won't harm you, they don't seem to know that one leads to two, to three, to four. So happy just now but see what tomorrow brings, been told it takes 2or 3 months for cholesterol to come down say from 7 to 6 just with diet. Just don't really want to go on any more tablets.

Thanks for your support!!! :-D :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Jan 2013 05:39

Well done Marilyn, maybe your being poorly over Christmas helped dull your appetite for the sweet things. My o.h. is dreadful, even tho he is diabetic he can't say no to sweet things and buys himself biscuits etc. I have given up nagging as it doesn't make any difference, it wouldn't be so bad if he could just have an occasional biscuit but he eats three or four at a time.

I am like you TS with the chocolates, some years o.h. has forgotten what he's bought me or hasn't got much for me to open on Christmas or birthdays so I end up with several boxes of chocs, one year I got five different sorts from him. This year it was only two and I still have an unopened box from my birthday in July, so with the box of After Eights my neighbour got me, I have plenty to go at but will try and ration them out, and only eat one or two each time I dip into a box. My cholesterol is ok but I do need to lost a bit more weight, well a lot more weight, but have got down to 12 and a half stone, and seem to have stuck at that. I know I have lost weight round my middle as all my clothes are loose, am spending a fortune on elastic replacing all the elastic in the waistbands. Even had to put a safety pin in the waist of one skirt I took away with me in early December, hadn't realised how big it was and it nearly fell off as I walked into a shop.

Hope your results are better today, Marilyn.

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Jan 2013 05:46

A few years ago........

I weighed 58Kg

My cholesterol level was 3.5

I was reasonably fit.

I had a heart attack!

Go figure :-(

K

K Report 3 Jan 2013 05:52

Congratulations Marilyn. Sadly like others my problem is chocolate. Made a New Years resolution to give it up this year and so far have surived two days of being offered it at gatherings and work.

Sadly I think it is all or nothing. Like TS I can't resist an open box :-D

Keep us posted on your success

Kx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Jan 2013 06:50

I am a chocoholic for sure, at the mo I am not even trying to give it up, I don't smoke, rarely drink, especially at home, so need something to soothe me when o.h. has been particularly awkward lol

Off to bed now, night all lol Enjoy the day

Lizxx

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 3 Jan 2013 07:36

Well my trouble was skipping breakfast then calling at the shop when I passed at work and getting a cake, choc bar or even both. Then coming home and dipping in that irresistable box of chocs. It's an addiction but as every day passes I feel more and more happy with myself.

Liz I don't smoke, rarely drink, used to say my only little pleasure was sickly and sweet, will have to get my family tree up to date now when I get itchy fingers.

Good luck to everyone cutting out smoking etc., and starting diets. I just have blood test today, have to wait a week then go see my friend the doctor!!!!!! :-)

Marilyn

Ron2

Ron2 Report 3 Jan 2013 20:37

Cor TS - wonder you aint diabetic!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 4 Jan 2013 06:48

I had to go to the local supermarket as o.h. left his credit card there, just took a peek at the reductions and what did I find but a pack of profiteroles for 35p and a New York cheesecake for 75p. I did give o.h. a couple of profiteroles and have eaten the rest, before I read the calorie content! Oh well, will make those and the cheesecake my last treats and try harder to ignore the goodies next time.

Lizx

jgee

jgee Report 4 Jan 2013 07:21

Chocolate and chips was my main diet...then i got diabeties ..I had a four and half years break from sweets cakes and biscuits... family was amazed not one chocolate ..had the boxes of chocolates for birthdays and Christmas .. never touch them ..family ate them all.. then last year ..i had a abcess in mouth ..within minutes of being in casualty was given lots of steroids as i had a rash covering my neck and face.. was in five days on drips and 2 teeth taken out... i had lost three stone.....

I started to feel ill ..as my sugars was dropping to low ..was taken off metformin ..still it was low ..now i can eat chocolate sweets and cakes to keep sugar up my sugars drops very low.. :-D

Been on cholesterol for some years ..was only 5 when dr gave me pills ..its been three now for a long time

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 4 Jan 2013 09:32

Hi Ronald. .. I don't eat chocolate or sweets normally or biscuits very often the odd one dunked in my coffee. I walk a lot and generally I'm health concious. I don't eat these things because I don't buy them. I always seem to receive them for presents at Christmas and birthdays. I have considered giving them away but I always feel bad about giving away something that has been bought for me, whatever it may be. I do always offer my chocolates to anyone who visits. I have a full check up, including for diabetes, and blood analysis every year. Unfortunately or maybe that's fortunately it is soon after Christmas in January.

I have just GOT to learn not to open the box as they don't interest me all the time the box is sealed. Once the box is open it is like a magic trick...they've disappeared!

Wendy :-(

Ron2

Ron2 Report 4 Jan 2013 20:59

Heyup Wendy- if you dont want the pressies why not tell the givers that you've been advised that for health reasons you not to eat chocs - good excuse. 2 of my cousins used to work at Cadburys factory in Brum. Nuff said! lol. Best of luck with your checkup.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 4 Jan 2013 21:03

Good luck for your check up Wendy, I had the blood test yesterday, just got to wait a week to see doctor for results, but still going strong and winning. The nurse gave me a sheet with foods, to avoid, foods to eat in moderation and those I can eat plenty of. Needless to say that sweets, cakes and biscuits are on the first list lol.

Perhaps this really has been the boost I needed!! :-)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 5 Jan 2013 09:15

To work in Cadburys would be my worst nightmare Ron. Maybe I should become allergic to chocolate. I do have a genuine allerg to fish and nobody buys me fish for Christmas!!

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 5 Jan 2013 10:49

My other downfall is nuts. Used to work at rowntrees in the peanut butter department. Hundreds and thousands of peanuts coming past me on this very big belt, that was torture. Had to make sure I didn't go to work hungry!!!!