General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Please On Large/Simple Remote TV

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 3 Jan 2013 18:25

Mum has Alzheimer's..The TV and Freeview Box are now proving impossible for her to operate, 2 remotes are too much and she is unplugging everything including the scart.

I have looked on line and found a couple of remotes one works with free view one doesn't.

Ideally I would like to get a television with a simple set up without the need for the free view box and with a large button remote but haven't found one

Has anybody any knowledge or experience of either the simple remote or a TV
as I don't want to lay out £25 for the remote and then find I should have gone for the TV

Sorry if this sounds a bit messed up....I am pulling my hair out over this :-(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Jan 2013 18:51

The TV with built in freeview is limited with channels now,,remotes can be got with large numbers etc,,,, you tried a visual aid site?

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 3 Jan 2013 19:03

Thanks Kay

I had a look at the RNIB site but not quite what I had in mind, I will give it another go

The remote I looked at on an Alzheimer aids site says its compatible with most UK models but wondered if anyone had experience of it. It is very basic just Off/ On and left right Channel/ Volume which would be ideal. I may Email them and ask if it works with her TV

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 3 Jan 2013 19:17

Lolly have a look at this site.

http://www.argos.co.uk/

I have got both my tv'sfrom Argos and both have freeview on it so it doesnt need another remote.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 3 Jan 2013 19:33

Hi Sue

Yes mine's an Argos set too, but the remotes are still too fussy she wouldn't be able to work them ...Really needs to be basic :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Jan 2013 20:25

My dad had a 'girlfriend' with Alzheimer's. As I recall, she never changed channels on her television. As long as it was on she was happy to be watching it.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 3 Jan 2013 21:02

Sharron that's were the problem lies, If mum decides something is upsetting or too loud she will start fiddling and then everything goes off and cos she can't find the On she will pull everything out and can't get it back on any channel

Sue's Daffs came out quick :-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 Jan 2013 21:46

Hello found this see if any use to you www.remote_control_shop.co.uk they have remotes with large buttons .Barbra x if you google .remote control shop .it will give you info & help

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 3 Jan 2013 21:49

Lolly have you looked at this one..looks easy to use.

http://www.rnib.org.uk/shop/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?category=TV_remote_controls&productID=DR0301

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 3 Jan 2013 21:59

Barbra & Sue ......Thanks You have both come up with exactly what I was looking for & the reviews look good too :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 3 Jan 2013 22:04

That one that I put on is from the RNIB as I know a friend had one a couple of years ago.

She had lost her sight by 95% so she needed a remote with big buttons on it.

Good Luck :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 Jan 2013 22:55

Hope you can get sorted .Best wishes Barbra x :-)