General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FriendsReunited ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 5 Jan 2013 10:39

A blast from the past ... :-D

A very good morning to all, its sunshine with wispy clouds in a bluish sky here, and very mild for January. :-D

I received a message from FR last night.
Blimey!... I thought I had deleted my account on there when they went and cocked it up and turned it into a glorified cyber scrap book. I consider it total crap now to what it used to be like.
I distinctly remember deleting all the photos I had on there, must have forgot to delete account totally.

Anyway the message was from a old schoolmate and friend I last saw over 50 yrs ago.
Apparently he had taken a copy of one of the 50+ year old photos I had on the site, (with myself and him on)but he had lost it and wondered if I could send him another copy.
Some hope!... I couldn't.
You can still message each other, but there`s no attachment facility to send photos. (as I said crap site now).

I had a mosey round the site whilst there, and found you can do you a Free "Family Tree" on the site. LOL
So I thought I`ll give this a try to see what its all about.
It turns out it transports you to the GenesReunited platform.

Makes you wonder if this could be the cause of the tree problems that have occurred on here, two different sites using the same facility. I wonder if they run the same tree offer on the other sister site DatingReunited (is it called).

Anyway we have got round the problem of me sending the piccies... we have discovered we both have Face book accounts. Problem solved. :-D :-D

Ron2

Ron2 Report 5 Jan 2013 20:01

Razza my sentiments exactly. FRU WAS a good site but now Thompsons own it tis utter crap. Half the things dont work on it, trying to search for people is weird. Idont use it but left my account open in case anyone wants to make contact. I use Face Book these days, lots of old ex mil mates, family, Fam History freinds etc

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Jan 2013 20:09

FR is still part of the GR group.....==Brightsolid who in turn own Thompsons...... :-D :-D.

wheels within wheels.......and none turn very well.......

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 6 Jan 2013 00:19

Razza could you not have swap email address
to sendthe photo :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Jan 2013 04:05

I joined FR many years ago, but got fed up with it.

My last contact was from a strange female, who insisted she knew me. She gave me an address, siblings names (supposed to be mine) even a dog's name etc etc........... and I told her I had never lived there, and had no siblings with those names and we didn't have a dog. She told me I was wrong lol :-D

I also joined Lost C*usins........ got one contact, with a cousin in England I've been in touch with for years :-D I still get their newsletters, which are interesting.

Berona

Berona Report 6 Jan 2013 06:30

I, too, joined another site years ago, and eventually found that I had an account with FR after it took over the site I had joined. I knew it was attached to GR, but when they did that last re-organisation, I was shocked to find photos which I had uploaded to Facebook, spread in all directions within my FR account! Many of these photos were NOT meant to be seen by my FR 'friends'. I complained about this being done without my permission, and my photos were removed. However, I CLOSED the account.

A few weeks later, I rejoined FR as a new member, with a new email address - and up came all of my old information. Also, it told me I had about 200 messages! When I looked at the messages - they went right back to when I originally joined many years ago.

I will no longer post anything on their site nor will I upload photos to Facebook.