General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Archie Patterson - extraordinary man

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 10 Jan 2013 20:55

Archie died 1983.
Had been a missionary in Angola for many years till forced out in 1960s.
Appreciate any other information of his life and family. Was a great inspiration to me and friends as youngsters in Liverpool.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 10 Jan 2013 21:18

William. He appears to have been very dedicated and brave. He went to Angola in 1925 and founded the United Evangelical Church on the Anglican Communion in Angola. First church in Kikaya near Uige. Previously he was a member of St Clements in Liverpool.

After deportation in 1961, there was a lot of bloodshed and several pastors were murdered. He did go back in 70's, I believe.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Jan 2013 18:25

Are you there, William?

William

William Report 11 Jan 2013 19:59

John,

Thanks for response - sorry re delay . I have seen details published in St Clements church magazine - do not know when.
Mr Patterson was our BB bible class teacher (8th Lpool Fairfield) 1968 - 70ish
He took me under his wing to get me employment . I talk about him to my children etc would like to know more. Have photo of him with his son .... senior rank in forces???.....would like to know more to share with old BB colleagues.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Jan 2013 21:50

I am sure plenty on here wil enjoy researching him. The only birth I could find in Liverpool was Archibald Patterson born 1891. That would make him 92 at death and nearly 80 when you knew him.

Any chance that birth date of 1891 could be right?

William

William Report 12 Jan 2013 18:59

That is the DOB I am assuming - 26/4/1891. Archibald Arthur Patterson

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Jan 2013 21:26

I looked at a marriage of George Patterson, 31, at Lpool St Clements, son of James Hesketh PATTERSON. In 1920's, I think.

Now James was married 1892 so does not seem to be father of Archie (unless he married twice). But probably brother of Archie's dad.

I have no subs now to do any research for you. But hopefully one or two will have a look. Archibald Patterson should have a WW1 record which might confirm age and family.

William

William Report 13 Jan 2013 13:06

Thanks for your research support and comments.
Archie was a prisoner of war. Unfortunately it looks like only records of officer prisoners were kept in WW1. Hopefully more information will come to light as search goes on.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 13 Jan 2013 13:55

If no one on this chat thread wants to follow this through, it might be better to give his probable date of birth 1891)and his birthplace on "Genealogy Chat" board, William. Wish I still had my subscriptions to help you further but am having a year out. :-)