General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Film Oranges & Sunshine

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 12 Jan 2013 09:06

A very good film is on BBC2 tonight called Oranges & Sunshine it is based on the book Empty Cradles by Margaret Humphrys ( excellent read) its about the children who were taken as "orphans" from this country , if you had relatives who this happened to can recommend the film but the book is excellent but would recommend a box of tissues while you read it

Pam

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 12 Jan 2013 09:54

Pam

Like you I have read the book and seen the film.

Very interesting film as it shows how children were taken away to OZ without their parents consent and how some of the people were reunited after around 50 years.

As Pam says Massive box of tissues needed.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Jan 2013 11:00

Thank you for posting this Pam.

I have read the book years ago and managed to find somewhere showing the film a while ago, but would like to watch again.

Gwyn

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jan 2013 11:08

Thank you Pam.

If OH doesn't want to watch it, I might record it for viewing when he is out one day.

If you wait long enough, something you never get to see at the cinema turns up on TV :-)

Allan

Allan Report 12 Jan 2013 11:13

I recently spent a weekend at Fairbridge in Pinjarra in Western Australia which is now set up as a community type accommodation village.

I spoke to some of the camp staff who had been there themselves as 'orphans' and were now acting as volunteer staff.

Their stories were heartbreaking, but when I mentioned that I was trying to trace a relative who had been sent to OZ by his family to avoid a court appearance and may have been sent to either Fairbridge, or Bindoon, run by the Christian Brothers, they said that what took place at Fairbridge was nothing compared to Bindoon

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 12 Jan 2013 14:57

Thank you Pam I have read the book, I will look forward to seeing the film, I will record it tonight.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Jan 2013 04:37

I am glad I noticed this thread as I recorded the film and watched it later, very sad and an absolute scandal that those children were lied to and removed from their homeland and possible contact with their families.

There have been some dreadful things done to youngsters over the years, I hope those who arranged such things in the name of Christianity and care, will have suffered themselves in retribution. No child deserves such awful treatment.

Lizx

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 13 Jan 2013 10:13

im going to watch it today, i recorded it last night