General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paid a visit to the vet today

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 12 Jan 2013 15:45

actually for once we didn´t pay it was a freebie consultation but he said my nose was a bit runny and I was drooling too much at the mouth (he is rather good looking and did arrive in his bike leathers). :-D :-D :-D

We really went to get a prescription for Minx´s valium. Whilst there we discussed her epilepsy.
She had a mega fit on new Years Day and another one not quite as bad but still worse than usual yesterday. ONLY 10 days. he chuntered at us and I flaffed that before that it was 21days and it´s only the last 2 that have been really bad and hard to control.

The outcome is as Mr Nasty Nice Vet man said if we can´t control with 15ml of valium or the next fit comes with in the next 14days, then she has to go onto the next stage of phenobarbitone. That´s the full blown medication that needs to keep them monitored because it wrecks their liver otherwise.
Mr Wise Vet looked at me and wrote out scripts for 2 x 5 10ml valium and 2x 5 of 5ml. with the warning that if she is fitting fortnighly then we can´t let her go much longer because the brain is getting too strong for the valium (or she is becoming immune to it) and there is only 1 course left to take. :-( :-(

I am not a happy dog owner even though I have always known this. Admittedly I thought we were talking about weekly fits, which we were but Minx´s are too long lasting and too strong.

Mini was happy mind because she got a free manicure ! :-D

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 12 Jan 2013 19:32

Aw bless you Uzzi, living with a ticking time bomb is awful, been there done that. Why do we put ouselves through this? because we are dog lovers and the good times outway the bad. Thinking of you and Minx. Elaine, Missie and Jerry. :-( <3

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 12 Jan 2013 19:34

My Dad had the exact same thing with his Lab cross Uzzi..it's like living on a knife edge....my heart goes out to you x

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 12 Jan 2013 19:57

Elaine I don´t think of Minx as a ticking time bomb (although yes she is) she is my baby and yes as a dog lover I will cope, Her love that she gives is wonderful, but if you could see the look in her eyes when she comes around from a fit, and understands its you she is seeing,who is holding her , trust me you would never ever abuse that trust., One of the reasons I don´t want to put her on medication and shorten her life, but if I don´t then I will kill her also.

Muffy Thank you are right it is a knife edge, I will when the time is right put her on full meds as your Dad must have discovered it´s when. but yes I will

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Jan 2013 20:22

Uzzi you will do what is right for her because you love her and she trusts you. But it is hard for you I know. <3 <3

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 12 Jan 2013 20:35

Sorry that the fits are getting stronger and more frequent, not much more I can say but hope the next one doesn't happen too soon. <3

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 12 Jan 2013 20:37

Ann what ever I decide at the moment is going to be wrong. I have made my choice and we will cope for a little longer, against what the vet wants, but if she keeps fitting as she has done then I won´t have a choice, to better her life I will have to shorten it. better a good short life than a long crap one.

I love my dog <3

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 12 Jan 2013 21:16

Having seen first hand a fitting dog....I know how exhausted and vulnerable they are straight after.....have to admit that if she were mine I'd think of letting her go as per the vets advice but ultimately you're the one who sees her and knows her best so you're the best judge. My only advice would be to also be kind to yourself..whatever you decide xx <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Jan 2013 04:04

Thinking of you Uzzi, so hard to see a pet suffer and hard to know what advice to take and what to postpone, you will know in your heart when it's the right time to change things. Maybe Minx won't have another fit for a good length of time and you will see her enjoy life with Mini and yourself.

Lizxx