General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jerry Springer (dog)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 12 Jan 2013 19:55

Yesterday I walked the dogs to the local shops, about a mile and a half away via what was the canal towpath. Now there are trees and bushes in abundance where the canal used to be. Both dogs were working the undergrowth, finding new smells etc. I turned to see our new adopted springer coming toward me with a dead wood pigeon in his mouth. I put both my hands out at knee level and he very carefully laid it on them. I praised him and he was so overjoyed. This dog had been a gun trained dog in his past life, I was sure. How did he fall on hard times, being chained for 3 years, in a yard no cover and laying in his own excrement.
I was taking him to the shops to find out how he would behave in a shop, fastened outside one and on the bus home. He passed on all counts with flying colours. This dog loves everyone from babies to postmen how can he after what he has been through. The pigeon had been dead a day or so, sorry Jerry not cooking it. ;-)

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 12 Jan 2013 20:35

Bless him :-) and you for adopting him :-D

It is a mystery you'll probably never find the answer too.

Tho if the dogs trust or kennels you had him from knew about his 3 yrs of being chained up, there must have been some prosecution / action against the former owners, he must have been fed tho severely neglected.:((

Spaniels have a natural instinct to 'swoop' an area when they are off leash , I bet he thought he'd brought a 'trophy' home to mum or dad :-D

Rescue dogs seem to give more love back ,it's as if it's their way of saying thank you !
Ours too was marvellous with humans of all ages., tho very protective initially of me and my dad ( we brought him home from the rescue centre) against men that we didn't know. Once he could see we were happy to speak to them he was fine , he grew out of that after a few months too.

Well done Jerry , you've found yourself a new loving home :-D

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 12 Jan 2013 20:47

So glad for you and him that he has settled so well. Dogs give so much love even when they have been ill treated. All our dogs have been rescue dogs, although none ill treated as yours was. One of them was a lovely well looked after dog whos owner had died so she needed a new home. She was spoilt really as the first thing she did when we got home was to claim an armchair :-D

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 12 Jan 2013 21:19

It was a family member that found him and passed him on to Springer rescue.He was very under weight ribs and haunch bones protruding. He also had a splenic tumor as big as a grapefriut which was removed by a vet and paid for by springer rescue. I would have called in the police had I been there and they would have fetched the R S P C A. then there could heve been a case against the owner. I think the owner should be slowly tortured and I am not a person of violence. E.

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 12 Jan 2013 21:21

Jerry and Missie sharing a bed after only 3 days. :-D