General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts


ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Richard Report 15 Jan 2013 15:21

HI I Have spent long time putting tree together but how do you go passt grand mother or father the documents are too poor with no detail . i don't get it if if the birth certificate had the parants on it would be easy HOW do you do it please help richard poole ????? :-(


Kense Report 15 Jan 2013 15:29

You must have short versions of the Birth Certificates. You have to apply to the GRO for the full cert. That will contain the parents names and father's occupation.


SuffolkVera Report 15 Jan 2013 15:30

Not quite sure what you mean Richard. Birth certificates do have parents' names, mother's maiden name, place of birth on them. If you have a birth cert. without the father's name it usually, though not always, means the child was illegitimate.
Marriage certificates also give addresses and fathers' names and occupations.

When you have found names you can often trace people through the censuses or parish records though it can take a bit of trawling, particularly with common names.


SuffolkVera Report 15 Jan 2013 15:34

I'd forgotten about short versions of birth certs. Stupid me. If you haven't bought the full version of birth certs before get them from the GRO as KenSE says. Don't buy through other sites - they will charge you more.


wisechild Report 15 Jan 2013 15:38

Have you actually got copies of the birth certificates, or have you just found the birth entries in the General Register.?
In order to find the parents names, you will need to purchase copies of the certificates. The information CanĀ“t be viewed on line.


Richard Report 15 Jan 2013 15:44

yes i am just searching geans reunited and buying with credits i don't really understand gro or kense ???????????????????


AnninGlos Report 15 Jan 2013 15:55

GRO is general records office Richard, that is the official place to purchase a birth, marriage or death certificate. What actually do you have? A certificate of any kind or a printed entry on a GR record? If so which records are you looking at.

If you go on the find ancestors board and ask for help people will assist you.


jax Report 15 Jan 2013 15:56

If the birhs are before 1960 ish dont use credits on here

It is free on freebmd

but you still need to purchase the certs as mentioned above


Richard Report 15 Jan 2013 16:09

thank you all can get going now thanks also any tips would help thanks


Nyx Report 15 Jan 2013 18:31

Hi Richard, as has been advised buy the certs from GRO

this is an example of what you will see when you look on Freebmd

Births Mar 1884
Keating Daniel John Chelsea 1a 342

you then use those ref numbers when ordering from the GRO


Richard Report 15 Jan 2013 21:53

i just have what you can see on this site which is not much i thought this site did all of it . so how do you start and how to be sure you have the right person ??


Inky1 Report 15 Jan 2013 22:12

At the risk of seeming uncharitable, I am puzzled by this thread.

Like many others, I am quite prepared to give assistance. But hovering over Richard's Avatar I get that he has been a Member since November 2004.

Surely it's a bit late in the day to be asking questions about getting back past grandparents?


jax Report 15 Jan 2013 22:32

Just because Richard has been a member since 2004, does not mean he has been building his tree since then.

It took me 3 years after I joined to actually start building a tree....maybe Richard did the same?

It does'nt cost anything to open an account


JoyDean Report 15 Jan 2013 22:46

Welcome, Richard.

As well as other advice given, you may find this tips thread useful that I started on the genealogy chat board called
Starting family history research

You can find it by clicking on

Happy hunting :)