General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am not moving

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Jan 2013 18:47

from this house!

Just heard on the news that Norwich city centre is snarled up due to melted snow freezing so that the icy conditions are making driving nigh on impossible, I suppose with all the cars the gritting lorries can't even get to the roads . Think the chap said it has been snarled up for 3 hrs!
Apparently someone today tried to drive the 16 miles from Aylsham to Norwich and it took 7 hours and seems Norfolk is like that almost everywhere. Hope o.h. gets the car home in one piece this evening at 10pm, and that the traffic will be less by then. Glad he didn't try to bike it!

I am too nervous to walk in this weather, even tho I have bought shoe spikes, the fall I had on black ice a few years back which made me quite poorly (post concussive syndrome) has made be terrified to set foot on slippery surfaces.

I won't be going anywhere till the road conditions improve, altho there were errands I needed to do they will just have to wait. We have enough food in and o.h. can get to the local supermarket just 5 mins normal walk away so will be ok.

I feel sorry for those who can't get around and have no one to help them but there is little I can do for my old neighbours near my house, hope the younger ones nearby will help them out.

Take care everyone,

Lizxx

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 15 Jan 2013 19:01

Liz. You poor thing!! My nightmare too. I think you will only have to hole up till weekend. Looks a bit better then.

Norfolk is the driest county. South Wales is the wettest place on earth outside the Amazon basin. How come we get hardly any snow most years and Norfolk is always on the news with 12 feet drifts :-S :-S

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 15 Jan 2013 19:05

Evening Liz. I have been watching the forecast for snow in your area and felt very sorry for you all. Wasn't going to say much more than take care but how sunny but cold here and how lucky we are to have missed it all.
As I started the forecast came on and we are certainly in for it on thurs night Fri and Sat. Like you I wont be going anywhere Just as nervous about it as you
Take care :-D

~flying doctor~

~flying doctor~ Report 15 Jan 2013 19:26

Liz what is post concussive syndrome. I ask because i had a fall a month ago and have not been good since. Elaine xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Jan 2013 19:58

Thanks folks, I do hate the cold at the best of times

(eek, just sat down to write this and a spider/beetle crawled along the desk, must have disturbed it when I started typing lol - good thing I am not the hysterical type, it's gone under the printer now so will leave it in peace as long as it stays away from me)

Elaine, I fell on black ice and fell on my back, hitting the back of my head. Got checked out but no x ray and just rested for a few days (it was just before Christmas 2009 I think it was so couldn't rest much) For some time afterwards I felt sort of away with the fairies, light headed and not good out walking so I went to my doctor who said it was p.c.s. and to just take things easy, take painkillers if headaches and to return if it didn't improve. I wish I had been for an x ray (went to walk in centre instead of hospital as W.i, centre was nearer and had to take a taxi there cos o.h. had just returned from work and the snow came down harder so he didn't feel like driving me there.

W.i. centre doesn't have x ray machines. They told me if I got worse or fainted to get to the hospital as soon as I could but otherwise would be ok. Of course, I didn't get to hospital as struggled on.

I think you might need to get checked out too, ask if you have the same thing as me. I was worried when you had the fall but you seemed ok.

Just spoken to Dutch and she is not so good, had some tests, waiting for results on Monday but more tests to be done. Lots of snow where she is and other problems worrying her (when aren't there with her family so far away?) We managed to have a laugh and she sends her love to all her pals. Told her you asked after her.

Will be talking to her again when I can, probably after Monday's results and will keep folk posted.

take care, let me know how you get on Elaine.
Lizxx

Wend

Wend Report 15 Jan 2013 20:10

Keep warm Liz xxx <3

kandj

kandj Report 15 Jan 2013 22:37

Hope you are OK Liz and I think you are wise to stay inside where you are safe. Take care.....Gxx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Jan 2013 06:47

Believe me, folks, I won't be going anywhere yet. I keep leaving o.h. shopping lists for when he goes to the shop and I found thicker duvet for the bed so should be snug when I go up.

O.h. was 20 mins late for work yesterday as the roads were so bad. There were pics on the news of cars getting stuck, even a bus and hearse had to be pushed up some hills in the city centre. Norfolk isn't all flat lol

I remember years ago leaving off my job at the Railway Station, I was on night shift and went out to my car at 6am to find three inches of snow from nowhere. Hardly any traffic on the roads so I had to make my own fresh tracks, had to find ways of going round flat areas as I couldn't get up the hill that people struggled with yesterday. I went the long way home to my flat (this was in the late 1970s) drove past my Mum's house but not on the service road, on the main ring road the other side of the hedge, driving in lorry tracks till one came towards me and I had to move over. It took me over an hour to get home, just about 2 miles, and I was so cold when I got in, just got in a hot bath to thaw out. I then sat up with porridge and a cuppa till 8am so I could ring my Mum to let her know I was home safe, as I knew when she got up and saw the snow she would worry. Only then could I go to bed.

No wonder I have funny sleep habits now lol

Lizx

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 16 Jan 2013 09:45

All that snow in Norwich but here in Caister (about 20 miles away) we just had a few flurries but not enough to leave any evidence!!
It was a very hard frost last night though - I went out to put some stuff in recycling bin, tried to open it with the one hand I had free but it was frozen shut lol. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Jan 2013 12:02

Brass monkies down here today but it hasn't stopped Fred going shopping on the bus.

It is the lure of the sausage sandwich I think.

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 16 Jan 2013 16:30

Haven't had any snow here but it is freezing cold though...Having lived in Edinburgh for nearly 3 yrs I got used to the snow but now I live in Wiltshire I really don't want any :-D.....Im not to good on my feet as it is and can't really afford to fall over...It doesn't help that I still can't wear shoes after the op on my toes!!

Jules x

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 16 Jan 2013 18:22

As I am virtually housebound, no not by snow but because my legs have decided they are fed up with walking after 81 years of usage :-) I get my shopping delivered, early this morning after reading the weather forecast of snow on Friday I have ordered my delivery for tomorrow...also phoned a couple of my neighbours and am bringing shopping in for them..T store.will think I am shopping for the festive season all over again :-D..
My thoughts go out to all you folk who have to travel to their place of work and others who have no choice but to venture outside....on a lighter note I received an email from my son this morning who is suffering in the heat, he says it is between 35/40o degrees in Brisbane and he would dearly love to swop places right now....take care all....

Joyce P

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Jan 2013 18:24

Stay in and keep warm, Jules. I hope you have someone who will bring shopping to you if you need things, at least until you can put some shoes on.

It hasn't snowed any more so far but the road outside is all churned up from car tyres and there is no pavements in this culdesac, the builders forgot to leave room when they built the houses and garden walls etc so it's treacherous to try and walk out of the close. I did put some more stuff out for the birds, o.h. had cleared a bit of the patio and put some seeds and bread out and the blackbirds have been tucking in, I added a dish of fresh water and saw one blackbird make use of it. Found some stale cereal too so will be mixing up some fat and cereal later to put out tomorrow. We have several fat balls around the garden too and one out on the ground for our blackbirds, there are lots of tits flying about but I haven't seen our robin lately. Hope 'my' hedgehogs are somewhere warm and dry, it was so cold last night.

The thicker duvet was lovely tho - didn't want to get out of bed when the alarm went off.

Take care all, hope you don't get any snow in Caister, Lyndi. That's where our Rita used to live with her husband, and she has friends there that she did visit a while back. I expect they have been sad that they won't see her again.

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Jan 2013 05:36

Sorry Joyce, didn't spot your post when I was typing mine!

It's a shame you aren't so mobile now but good that you can order on line and help your neighbours too. Hope you didn't order any burgers!

Stay nice and warm and safe. Shame your son can't send some sunshine to you in a parcel eh? It would be nice if we could have a happy medium instead of such extremes of weather across the world.

Take care,
Lizxx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Jan 2013 05:39

Here's the link to see the passengers pushing the bus up the hill, it's the one I got stuck on all those years ago. It doesn't look very safe to me, I would think it was a health and safety issue that was contravened having passengers pushing the bus, if he had slid backwards there could have been tragic consequences.

http://aolbroadband.welcomescreen.aol.co.uk/video/snowed-in-trapped-bus-is-pushed-by-passengers-in-norwich/517643797

Jean

Jean Report 18 Jan 2013 00:24

same here liz, i will stay in untill the snow and ice goes away. have learnt to stock up on food during the winter. if i do need any bits my son will get them for me on his way home from work. stay safe folks and only go out if you really have to.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Jan 2013 07:40

Well it's snowed again overnight here in Norwich, not a lot but enough to cover the icy ruts in the road, about an inch or so at the mo. O.h. will pick up any odds and ends we need on his way home from work while he has the car.

I have to admit I feel a bit stir crazy, I wanted to do so many things this week around various shops and such and am stuck here indoors.

Take care everyone

Lizxx

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 18 Jan 2013 12:20

Snow has finally arrived here, got about 6 in and it's still snowing...We have no buses, the school is closed and so is the doctors!!! This didn't happen when I lived in Edinburgh.... :-S
I have been stuck indoors for the best part of 6weeks and im going crazy now, was supposed to be going to Bath Hosp on Monday to have my pin removed from my toe but they have forecast more snow so it looks like I won't be having it done!!

Jules x