General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just an observation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 23 Jan 2013 16:12

During the Victorian period, virtually evey family had a son with Albert as part of his name.
There appear to have been far fewer Victorias.
Wonder why?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Jan 2013 16:51

My extended family did not have any Alberts or Victorias, in over a century. Most popular names John, William, Francis, Robert, Thomas, Edward, Joseph, Charles, James, Nathaniel and for the girls Elizabeth ( easily), Mary, Martha, Florence, Charlotte, Jane, Rebecca, Eleanor. I am sure that many have found the extreme lack of imagination and repetition of names a real headache, even with less common surnames.

I am lucky enough to have letters and diaries, Albert was far from flavour of the century. The family point of view being that 1861 ended well.

Victoria herself was very unpopular at the beginning of her reign ( somebody nearly shot her ) and again for a long time after the death of Albert. The aristocracy considered V&A "common" and for the most part kept a considerable distance. So not many V&As there either. By their actions the true blues made life a lot easier later on for those who desired their demise from Lloyd George to Aneurin Bevan

don't think you will find many Alberts and Victorias in the 32 counties either.

The house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha only really got established with George V who promptly re branded it, giving up the usual romp around Mayfair for stamp collecting and the glorious 12th. He would have enjoyed an attack Apache and a brace of Taliban.

Tally ho.

:-D

wisechild

wisechild Report 23 Jan 2013 17:03

Lucky you Rollo.
I seem to be inundated with Alberts, which doesn´t make researching easy.Also, I understand that girls who were actually called Victoria were often nicknamed Queenie, just to muddy the waters a bit further.
My biggest problem has been tracking 5 generations of John Davis´s who were nearly all gunmakers in Birmingham.
Nightmare!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Jan 2013 17:33

no Albert's or Victoria's in my tree

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jan 2013 17:48

No Alberts or Victorias.
Lots of using different names to the ones they were given though :-S

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 23 Jan 2013 19:26

No Albert or Victorias for me either......strange I had never considered it before now?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Jan 2013 19:29

That's interesting, Queenie for Victoria. Never thought of it before.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 23 Jan 2013 20:37

No Alberts or Victorias in my tree either.

Didn't they call some girls Regina too?