General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts


Page 4 + 1 of 7

  1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Jan 2013 23:58

if all MPs where on minium wage you would see big changes to everything
they claim for second homes why cant they stay in a cheep B&B
well i would like to see them get the bedroom tax applyed to them to on their allowances


Amanda2003 Report 25 Jan 2013 23:58

I'd be more inclined to blame the Tories for selling off the council properties for a fast buck to be honest :-( but that is history isn't it :-S

I'm still hoping that as people wake up and smell the coffee the " peasents " will revolt ( like they did about the Poll Tax ) another piece of history and ill thought out policy .

The tidal wave of April is a heading our way....... just hang on tight .


maggiewinchester Report 25 Jan 2013 23:57

But Joy, if you can't afford to pay for extra rooms, and there are no 1 bedroom places available, it is 'suggested' (quite forcefully) that you move into B&B - quite often more expensive than a flat, and you'd have to 'eat out'. It also, essentially makes you homeless!!

Sod it if you have precious posessions and maybe a pet - you have to get rid of everything and get out.


Diane Report 25 Jan 2013 23:54

Well I'd like to see the powers that be live on £37 week paying for food heating clothing and travel expences to sign on.


JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Jan 2013 23:53

all you can do is pay up moaning about it will get nobody nowhere
as you will still have to pay it in the end
please remember if you dont pay it
you risk make yourself homeless and social housing wont help then at all
if its your own fault

blame the labour government for getting this country in the mess its in today :-( :-(


Diane Report 25 Jan 2013 23:50

Joy I can agree with capiing and they already have, my rent is no were near the cap amount in fact it is less than half but if I was to go into private renting for 1 bedroom the rent would be more and the housing would pay it in full, were is the sense in that.


Amanda2003 Report 25 Jan 2013 23:47

That sounds like a good idea to me Joy . The rent on my home is just under £80 a week ,
My son private rents a two bedroom flat , with his G/F and two daughters . £125 a week and that's a bargin in this day and age .

I could choose to give up my " spare room " and private rent a two bedroom place , the council would pay the full amount . I don't see how that saves anyone anything ?? :-S


JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Jan 2013 23:47

thern pay the 15% is all ylou can do
but relations staying over is not the social hosings problem or choice


Diane Report 25 Jan 2013 23:44

Fine if you are fit enough to have foster kids and I for one do not intend to take in total stranger's into my home, and why shouldn't I have my relatives over to stay.


JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Jan 2013 23:42

to be honest muffy
i would cap all housing benifits to £100 a week even in london
that would save a fortune much more than the bedroom tax
and stop the fat cat landlords in the cities making a killing


Amanda2003 Report 25 Jan 2013 23:41

I really don't know Muffy :-( " We are all in it together " apparently . But it just seems that " they " are starting from the bottom and threatening the most vulnerable people first .

I've lived in my home for 25 years . I spent a lot of my compensation money on having this council propety converted to my needs , now , I have a " spare room " and the goal posts have been uprooted and moved ........... it's a horrid feeling :-(


JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Jan 2013 23:36

but social servises will cover the 15% in that case
it will be included in the foster care allowences

all rented property has to be gas safty checked every year
and you canb buy co2 alarms
my son has 10 houses he rents out and ive seen the certs


Amanda2003 Report 25 Jan 2013 23:36

It does say information about boilers on the link above Joy . Mind you , I'm no plumber ..... lol So I don't understand the blurb :-S


Muffyxx Report 25 Jan 2013 23:34

So if not the bedroom tax then what do you think should be taxed instead...because it's clear something has to give......


JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Jan 2013 23:34

if that was the case
it would be against the law to sleep in the same room where a boilers fitted to
and most houses here have boilers in one of the bedrooms
also gas fire were also fitted at one time in the main bedrooms
why cant grandkids sleep in there own homes
with granny sleeping over at theirs

its not social housings problem


Amanda2003 Report 25 Jan 2013 23:31

Foster careers are being charged the " bedroom tax " as well :-(


Amanda2003 Report 25 Jan 2013 23:30

Oddly enough Joy , if a house has a gas fire in the living room I believe it is against the rules to sleep in the said room , so , in theory , if you put your kiddies up on a sofa bed , in your living room and it has a gas fire , then your breaking a law :-S ( I have a gas fire in my living room ) . My grand children sleep in the " spare room " when they stay over .

Regarding the " bed room tax " , it isn't actually just about finding more homes for needy families , it's about clawing back money from the people who have no money ..... ie the un-employed and people on very low wages , that need housing benefit . I think it is wrong :-(


JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Jan 2013 23:27

you could always take in a lodger or foster Diane
the income from foreign students is not to be sniffed at

but just think your spare bedroom may be used for a child to have a home
to live with their parent or parents just like your son did

and for one spare bedroom its only 15%


Diane Report 25 Jan 2013 23:23

Joy I do not live in a house but a flat that until 6mths ago was right size until my son left home, I have lived here for over 10yrs and again until recently worked and payed full rent ( no benefit help ) why should I move to a 1 bedroom high rise flat 6 miles away. my income is £70 and when this new bedroom tax and also 20% council tax come into affect I will only have £37 a week to live on.


JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Jan 2013 23:03

for people having children stay over
they are recomending that people buy a bed sofa for tempory use

why do people think they have a automatic right to social housing
if you were given a house that fit your needs
its common sense that one day the house may be to big for your needs
and you may be asked to move to give somebody in need
the same advantages that you once got from social housing
its not as if they are making you homeless

so pay the extra or move the choice is yours :-D