General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding out who lived 'here' at a given time?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CSpry

CSpry Report 25 Jan 2013 23:24

Can anyone tell me how I can findout who was the blacksmith at the Gingling Gate public house Westerhope around 1930s to 1940s? :-S

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 25 Jan 2013 23:38

You could try phoning the pub (I think you'll find it's the Jingling Gate) and see if the current landlord knows anything of its history. Or the landlord may know a pub regular who is a local historian, there's usually someone in the locality who knows all sorts of stuff.

You could try googling, it's surprising what comes up, there's a nice old photo of it here for example -.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/multimedia/history-and-nostalgia/2012/06/07/old-pictures-of-newbiggin-hall-and-westerhope-down-the-years-72703-31133940/

jax

jax Report 25 Jan 2013 23:50

Hi Michael

What do you mean by "Who was the blacksmith" ?

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 26 Jan 2013 00:21

Here's a good link for you Michael,hope it helps..
...think it became Jingling Gate pub in 1938...not sure if it's still standing,but I remember going for a meal there in the seventies.

..btw Gingling Gate was it's original spelling when it was a smithy.

http://www.tomorrows-history.com/public_item.php?collection=84&item=11408&flag=C

Mau

edit; just checked for you and yes pub appears to be still there :-)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 26 Jan 2013 10:27

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORTHUMBRIA/2000-11/0973236235

Someone else is also researching the Jingling Gate

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 26 Jan 2013 10:53

Just had to come back to thread to see if any results......good

call Wendy,someone on rootsweb with family connections :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 26 Jan 2013 11:12

Maureen I love a challenge..

Kelly's Trade Directory for Newcastle 1914

The Jingling Gate. Mrs J Davidson, West Whorlton, Newcastle.

Another Internet site said that the Jingling Gate was once considered to be in Whorlton as it was on the border with Westerhope.

Too early I know but have you got a name in mind Michael, it just may have been passed down through the family at some point. :-)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 26 Jan 2013 12:13

[email protected]. Presumably the brewery that owns it and you can contact them for info. I guess they mean that to be current information but they may be able to pass you to another department in the Greene King organisation who can help you.

Wendy