General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

could the bmd Death age be wrong?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natasha

Natasha Report 26 Jan 2013 18:51

I found the only one in an area which i know my ancestor lived etc,
everything makes sense..apart from the age at death?
(i KNOW it would be easier to get death cert.. but first i'd like to search what i can find first.)

Could it be wrong age on the bmd? or not really possible?

She was born 1842 , but the death i found is 73yrs making her birth about 1838 instead. hmmm
also if you don't know when someone died how can you order a death cert?
:-S

Natasha

Natasha Report 26 Jan 2013 18:52

ELIZA CUMMINS 1842. ...DIED AS . ELIZA HUNT . FROM kingsclere hampshire ..

Andrew

Andrew Report 26 Jan 2013 18:53

The info on the cert is only as good as the person giving the info. It could be that the informant didn't know the true age and guessed.

Does her age change through the census records?

Andy

Kense

Kense Report 26 Jan 2013 19:01

I have two people in my tree who were ten years older than stated on the death certificate.

One clearly subtracted ten when she got married and all subsequent census ages were also marked down.

The other only aged 8 years between censuses.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Jan 2013 19:01

i see there are several marriages that could be her in the Kingsclere reg district
Eliza Cummins Oct-Nov-Dec 1865 Kingsclere Hampshire

Eliza Cummins Jul-Aug-Sep 1868 Kingsclere Hampshire

Eliza Cummins Apr-May-Jun 1889 Kingsclere Hampshire

so have you identified the right marriage for her

Natasha

Natasha Report 26 Jan 2013 19:05

I see so it could very well be that she died in 1911. age 69 Not the stated 73 on the bmd ..
I'll keep looking. as also i've just seen she was resident in Warlingham, Surrey, England too nearer the end of her life.. so i'm still going on my rounds round the records searching

thank you all for replies

(..she married Thomas Duckett Hunt in 1865 )

Andrew

Andrew Report 26 Jan 2013 19:08

If the 1865 marriage to Thomas Hunt is correct then age on census

1851 born 1842
1861 born 1842
1871 born 1840
1881 born 1840
1891 born 1839
1901 born 1839
1911 born 1843 (If I have correct person)

Thomas ded in 1910, so her death might have been recorded by one of the children. Its quite possible they didn't know her true date of birth.

so age is creeping up each census

Andy

Natasha

Natasha Report 26 Jan 2013 19:15

Yeah the marriage to Thomas is a correct.

thank you

jax

jax Report 26 Jan 2013 19:45

I could not find one of my gt gt grandmothers deaths she was recorded as 32 when she was actually 82....I know yours is not a transcription error, but it does'nt make them easy to find when it happens

Natasha

Natasha Report 26 Jan 2013 21:02

True, our future descendants are gonna have it easy when finding us lot

Andrew

Andrew Report 26 Jan 2013 21:35

Or not!

With so many people not getting married and single mothers, tracing a tree could be just as difficult for our descendants as it is for us now.

Andy

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Jan 2013 22:58

:-D One of my grandson's names are just family surnames!!
Name 1: the bit that used to be on my ex's double-barelled family surname, until ex's g grandfather took out the hyphen and it became just a second name (daughter didn't know that!!)
Name 2: his grandmother (on his dad's side)'s maiden surname (commonly used as a forename now)
Name 3: Daughter's maiden surname - to which his first name used to be in front of
Surname

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 26 Jan 2013 23:32

Same here Maggie, first grandson, fathers surname and his grandfathers middle name. Changed to mothers surname and her fathers middle name. Changed by grandson new first name, all very confusing. :-S

Carol

Natasha

Natasha Report 27 Jan 2013 07:31

yes very confusing, my children have my maiden name and their dad will take my surname when we marry.

regarding the family branch i'm searching, i have a name confusion too.
I discovered last night. that my 4x great grandfathers surname is his Mother's Maiden name and his middle name is his father's surname.

Thomas Duckett & Mary Hunt, had baby Thomas Duckett Hunt 1838 out of wedlock, Thomas Duckett was still married to wife 1. Wife 1 dies when Thomas Duckett Hunt is 6mths. and he then Marries Mary Hunt..
having another child named after his first wife :/

my gggg grandfather being the only one carrying the HUNT surname on till now.

took me ages to discover this lol ..was fun though :-P

BrianW

BrianW Report 30 Jan 2013 08:49

GGGrandad took his mistress's name from around 1892 until 1918 when his first wife died which meant that he "disappeared" in the 1901 and 1911 censuses.
It was only when I sent for his death certificate and found that the informant was a daughter who was as far as I was concerned didn't exist that the story unfolded.
At first I thought I'd got the wrong certificate.
It was only by luck that the informant's name was unusual as she had married and her spinster daughter in the telephone directory that I made contact with that branch.
They had been searching for him for nearly 30 years but looking under the mistresses's surname.