General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Messenger users

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Report 3 Feb 2013 01:35

Recently news broke that the instant messaging system will go offline for good in
March.
Read the original story.
http://tech.uk.msn.com/microsoft/messenger-to-close-15-march-what-you-can-do-today

Messenger users (previously Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger) will shortly find themselves unable to use the service, but this isn't the cause of a catastrophic technical fault - instead Microsoft intend to move all existing Messenger users onto Skype from 15 March 2013.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Feb 2013 01:36

I think users have been informed of this for some time but important to highlight it again

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Feb 2013 07:00

Microsoft bought Skype, for - was it - $Au3million?

I can't remember last time I used Messenger....... over 8 years ago.

All those zeros after $ sign is scary!

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 3 Feb 2013 09:39

The download merging is simple and its still free.
The download, transfers all your old contacts for you .

Did it some time ago, I was already on Skype anyway.
I still hardly ever use Skype because my contacts are all on Facebook anyway, even the rellies in Canada. :-D

I do find it OK for one to one contact via Voice and Webcam.I know you can do that on facebook as well, but doing it via Skype seems more personal. ;-)