General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Messenger users

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Report 3 Feb 2013 01:35

Recently news broke that the instant messaging system will go offline for good in
March.
Read the original story.
http://tech.uk.msn.com/microsoft/messenger-to-close-15-march-what-you-can-do-today

Messenger users (previously Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger) will shortly find themselves unable to use the service, but this isn't the cause of a catastrophic technical fault - instead Microsoft intend to move all existing Messenger users onto Skype from 15 March 2013.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Feb 2013 01:36

I think users have been informed of this for some time but important to highlight it again

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Feb 2013 07:00

Microsoft bought Skype, for - was it - $Au3million?

I can't remember last time I used Messenger....... over 8 years ago.

All those zeros after $ sign is scary!

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 3 Feb 2013 09:39

The download merging is simple and its still free.
The download, transfers all your old contacts for you .

Did it some time ago, I was already on Skype anyway.
I still hardly ever use Skype because my contacts are all on Facebook anyway, even the rellies in Canada. :-D

I do find it OK for one to one contact via Voice and Webcam.I know you can do that on facebook as well, but doing it via Skype seems more personal. ;-)