General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Report 5 Feb 2013 03:34

Can Any of you good folk recomend a Good service ,as i wish to know about my bloodline.
Ideally where my ancestors may have come from, i have been advised as my Sir name was Jakes in Cambridge 1830s St Neots,Gamlingay it was probably anglisized.1800s North West Durham became Jacques.
Thanks Fellow Mongrels
Geoff Jacques :-)

Annina

Annina Report 6 Feb 2013 13:55

Hi Geoffrey,I believe that Ancestry organise one,it isn't cheap though.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 6 Feb 2013 14:10

Ancestry only USA at the moment.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Feb 2013 15:17

Although the surname Jakes may have come from France there is also another route it has come through

A Jakes or Jakesman - the man who took the night waste away. A Jakes was an alternate name for a loo.