General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Snow!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 9 Feb 2013 13:47

We think its bad when we have a few inches of snow.

I have just had a message from a friend in Connecticut that they have 7 ft snow drifts and 40 inches on the ground...and still falling...he says never seen anything like it.
At the moment trying to open the door to take pictures..

Merlin

Merlin Report 9 Feb 2013 13:53

Brenda, I don,t expect it will take them as long to clear it up as it does us.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Feb 2013 13:56

they predict it will be snow of historic proportions and remember, we always get what they have about 4/5 days later :-D :-D :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 9 Feb 2013 13:59

At last something to look forward to. :-D :-D

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 9 Feb 2013 14:01

Quote from Metcheck-uk weather:

It is a really messy picture and as much as we know everyone wants to know what will happen, you'll just have to treat this weekend like a supermarket beef lasagna... you could end up with anything :-)

:-D :-D :-D

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 9 Feb 2013 14:26

Even the BBC weather was more vague than usual when reporting this weekend's weather ....Sunday's weather cold and probably showery but if you have plans for Sunday, it's best to keep a close eye on weather reports because it's likely to change and we're just not sure what it will bring. :-S
It would have been much easier to say "Sunday - we haven't a clue". :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 9 Feb 2013 14:34

The roads are kept open in Canada even when the height of snow either side looks about 20 foot high.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 9 Feb 2013 16:03

I have never understood all the problems that the UK has these days with snow, when I was at primary school in Scotland in the late 1940's I used to have to walk about 3 miles to school through snow several feet deep in places if you took the shortcut over the fields, my brother and I were never allowed to take a day off school because of the weather.

My father travelled 15 miles by bus to his work and my grandfather walked 4 miles to his work, they never missed a days work, they could not afford to.

The buses ran, the trains ran, albeit due to the weather they did not always run on time, and daily life went on as normal.

Maybe in those days we had a different type of snow and maybe we had local authorities who were well prepared and well equipped to deal with the problem ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2013 16:58

I think health and safety and claims etc has made us soft. In the 80s, that is not so long ago, I worked for the MOD at a military base in Bedfordshire. The rule was if it snowed and somebody from your area got into work and you didn't you didn't get paid. Everyone made an effort to get in, especially those who lived in the same village as the person who thought nothing of walking 4 miles to work in the snow. She was not popular for that. No it wasn't me.