General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registering a birth in 1917

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2013 13:15

HI ALL !!!!!!
Many thanks for taking the time to send info.
The son was not put up for adoption, he was fostered, through Dr B's
If anyone wants to have a look at the info i have it is posted on Dorothy BRETT 1890's - i know you shouldn't post two requests for help - don't want to get into trouble :-D
thanks Sally :-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 10 Feb 2013 12:57

I take it that you refer to the info in Column 5 - Mother's Name

You would not have had to prove your id

Qualification for Column 7 - Signature, Description and Residence of the Informant was

Description of informant. The current list of eligible informants reads, in order of preference

(1) In all cases - mother

(2) Father - if he is married to mother

(3) Father and mother jointly where they are not married to one another

(4) A person present at the birth

(5) The owner or occupier of the house or institution

(6) The person in charge of the child

See http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/births.htm

I have a birth cert from 1839 where the informant was the next door neighbour

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Feb 2013 12:50

Are you thinking that the child might have been handed over for adoption? That could be a possible scenario. There are no formal records/legislation until the 1920's.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Feb 2013 12:38

...Which is what my g grandmother did!!!!

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2013 12:32

Oh yes, but the mother could say her name is Jane Smith when she is really Jane White maybe?????

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Feb 2013 12:30

There's normally a 'qualification' eg mother, father or, in at least one case, Grandmother.

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2013 12:27

No, i didn't think you were asked for info, so anybody could say anything !!!!!!!
Just what you want when you are looking :-S
Sally

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Feb 2013 12:24

From personal experience, my great grandmother registered her children giving the name Mrs xxx. At the time, (with 8 of them) she wasn't married to Mr xxx, so she probably never had to provide any documentation to prove her name.

Sally

Sally Report 10 Feb 2013 12:21

Hi all,
I have been trying to find info on a lady who had a baby in 1917, we have the birth cert, but am i right in thinking you don't need to prove who you are to register a birth.
What i mean is could the mother be someone other than who she said she was?
Thanks for your help.
Sally :-)