General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Racism in Football...a question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Feb 2013 16:46

Now I am completely uninterested in football so can people please explain in idiot terms my question?

I have watched news reports concerning fears that an English team will suffer racist abuse during their match in Russia.

If it is know by authorities who govern football that a particular club will act in this manner why are games allowed to continue?

If the matches were cancelled, presumably costing the offending club loss of ticket sales and TV income why isn't that done?

Ta

Sue

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Feb 2013 16:50

Sue you answered your own question, well almost,

If the matches were cancelled, presumably costing the offending club loss of ticket sales and TV income why isn't that done?

Money Money and money is the answer

Roy

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Feb 2013 16:57

football has taken the place of raping and pillaging
except its big money now instead of lives lost in battle :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Feb 2013 17:00

Does the football authority, or whoever is in charge, receive money from each fixture? If not why can't they use the big stick and forcibly cancel?

If clubs were penalised then they might be persuaded to control the fans (I use that word loosely).

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Feb 2013 17:43

problem here Sue is that you talking common sense

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Feb 2013 18:06

When Spurs comes to West Ham they are so used to the ethnic insults and chants that the Spurs fans now use the insults as their own calling themselves the " --- Army". Nobody does anything about it. Widespread hissing is not tolerated at West Ham, Millwall or Arsenal though it happens.

Same thing up on Tyneside where the Newcastle people have a very derogatory word for Sunderland people and insulting songs.

The Russians hate anybody not Russian with Poles being top of the list and anybody non white. Anybody who thinks the soccer world cup brings nations together is going to have a rude shock.

Life is like that - I have lived much of my life where Brits are a small minority and not much liked either. Getting all wound up about ethnic insults would not have helped very much.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 14 Feb 2013 18:09

Yid Army... In my days at the lane I'd sing it all the time...and would again........

Ask any Spurs supporter and I suspect they'd say the same......

**edit** Spurs call themselves the Yids...because they have a huge Jewish following in N London....a case of we'll sing it so it makes it *ours*...

May not be politically correct but in football circles it's no different to a West Ham Supporter being a Hammer or an Ar****l supporter being a Gooner.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Feb 2013 18:35

So some long term racial chanting is now acceptable? Well that makes it pointless to complain IMO. Either it's all wrong or all right, you can't pick and choose!

I hear yells of 'let's kick racism out of football' (I think that's right) but who is going to address the problem with any real effect?

Why don't the team who know they are going to be targetted say 'bugger this, we are not going then'. I guess the answer will be money. Well in that case the team manager/owners or whoever have no principles and certainly no care for their players.

Now please don't misunderstand me, I think football players are a bunch of overpaid male prima donnas but even I don't think they should be abused for the colour of their skin.

If it continues does that send a signal to kids that is OK?

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 14 Feb 2013 18:41

It's a toughie sue as it's the Spurs supporters chanting it about themselves. !!! There was a move to try and get us to stop using it but it fell by the wayside.

I don't advocate racial abuse aimed AT anyone but when you see it being blatantly done on the pitch between players and very little being done about it you do wonder how they expect it to be eradicated on the terraces.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 14 Feb 2013 18:44

With regards the Russians Country team, if you remember the under 21 match against England where our players and coaching staff were attacked on the pitch and some fans they were chased off ,,,it was horriable

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 14 Feb 2013 18:45

Sue, this is based on the many recent cases where individual players have been subject of racial abuse from 'fans' of the opposing team.
It seems to take place mainly on the continent, though cases further afield have been mentioned.
Clubs are investigated by the 'Governing Body' (e.g. FIFA), and sometimes fines are imposed - peanuts in some cases.
Presume International teams would receive the same treatment, but it's not really my sport, so .......
You could 'Google' it !! :-D :-D :-D ;-)

Edit: I'm not excluding UK football in this, coz it's happening here, too.

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 14 Feb 2013 18:47

Aside: Still haven't got my Remote back yet ..... running out of Marigolds ! :-(

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 14 Feb 2013 18:57

That damn dog's eyes freak me out BTW :-0

If I google it I won't get real answers just pages of waffle that i can't interpret that's why I don't bother..lolol

Sooooooooooooooo when is this match that's predicted to be trouble? Does the racism get televised? What's the point in imposing fines AFTER the event?

Re on the pitch racism.......I guess the old time "I've 'ad your sister and she was crap' (please refer to rugby), is too tame.

What if this happened in athletics? We have so many black athletes there would be absolute universal outrage. Football with it's associated fighting seems to be accepting of anything which normal people consider unnaceptable.

Edit: give it 20 senakot

;-)