General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I hope our scientists have got their sums right

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Feb 2013 07:10

Scientists have said an asteroid which is big enough to flatten London will narrowly miss the Earth tonight.

I hope our scientists have got their sums right, because in the last few hours it has been reported that a meteor shower shattered windows in Russia's Ural mountains.

Also in 1908 a meteor devastated a remote region of Siberia when it exploded a short distance above the ground over Tunguska. It was said the blast was a 1,000 times more powerful than the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima and an area of about 830 square miles was completely flattened :-(

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Feb 2013 09:24

They didn't pick up the recent meteorite which has hit Chelyabnsk but you can keep an eye on the 15th Feb special you mention here:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/asteroidflyby.html

The essential math of using Newton's laws to calculate the trajectory of an asteroid is straight forward. The fiddly bits allow for the earth not being perfectly round and the orbit variation of the eight planets including earth.

The main problem lies in getting enough data tracking points to make the calculation. For all of the known near earth asteroid orbits there are no problems in the next 30 years.

Of course that still leaves dark objects which may not be detected until late on.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 15 Feb 2013 10:21

i will be wearing my tin hat
just incase they get it a bit wrong lol :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Feb 2013 10:27

*so close that it will pass inside the ring of geosynchronous weather and communications satellites*

How confident are they confident that none will be 'knocked out' and the asteroid 's course diverted?

With no warning, the people in Chelyabinsk must have been terrified yesterday. 400 injured many apparently by flying glass from damaged buildings.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 15 Feb 2013 11:47

Perhaps I will leave the washing up till tomorrow then!

Mayfield ;-)

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Feb 2013 13:49

The latest on the meteor that exploded over Russia this morning is that it damaged some 3,000 buildings in Chelyabinsk, including 34 medical facilities and 361 schools according to the city administration.

Very Scary :-0

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Feb 2013 14:11

Cant wait till tonight ,all poised scope all set up in the hope of at least seeing a vapour trail.

dont think there is anything to be scared of....no more than a plane landing on your roof.....

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 15 Feb 2013 14:16

Thanks Kay :-D

Kense

Kense Report 15 Feb 2013 14:17

If it makes a vapour trail it will be too close for comfort.