General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Being called a partner

Page 3 + 1 of 4

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Feb 2013 17:22

I'm Ms as well. And will be until men start using a term of address that says whether or not they are married. ;-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 15 Feb 2013 17:19

I agree with Piglet's Pal about the anonymity of using 'Ms'.

I was Ms when I was married, and Ms now I'm divorced. It doesn't seem right that a man's title didn't indicate his marital status but a woman's did (pre Ms).

I assume Ms, Mrs, and possibly even Miss are all just variant abbreviations of 'Mistress'?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Feb 2013 16:38

Husband.......Wife.

I can see those who have no knowledge of your status using partner,,,,,as you maybe Mrs.but in a single relationship.

Forms now use partner more and more.....just cross it out and put husband or wife. :-D

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 15 Feb 2013 16:05

In response to Kuros (~~ hi I can almost see you today ! )

I don't mind official letters referring to Partner in their questions on forms..they don't know my current status ,if I'm married ,cohabiting with someone, be it of the opposite or same sex.

Sandie.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 15 Feb 2013 15:54

Yes ,
I think it would bother me . I'm married and we are husband and wife.

No one has ever referred about my husband , to me , as my partner in real life or cyber world,

Real life ...they know I'm married and refer to him by name or your husband.

Cyber world..the peeps I talk to know I'm married and don't use the term partner to me some know his name and may use the initial of his name

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Feb 2013 15:53

I am a Ms. - but as a divorcee I have a problem with the Mrs.

And I like the anonimity of the Ms. tag

Men are only ever Mr. which does not give any indication to their status.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 15 Feb 2013 15:50

I only ask because I was referred to as a partner last week, and I really didn't like it, and I would never of thought it would bother me. I must be as old as you Gwynne :-D

Von

Von Report 15 Feb 2013 15:47

I agree. I prefer to use husband.

I don't like being Ms. I prefer Mrs. :-) :-) :-)

Someone totally confused me the other day by introducing someone as their partner and they meant business partner :-S :-S
Von

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Feb 2013 15:47

If people do not like the term partner why do so many say they are 'partners for life'?

When you are not married (like me & oh) partner is the only term you can use

terryj

terryj Report 15 Feb 2013 15:46

wife usually calls me her hubby
the other night she called me something else without realising our 19 yr old son was behind her

no more you never hear me swear from her again

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Feb 2013 15:39

never partner - I'm a widow now but was always a wife and he was my husband

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 15 Feb 2013 15:38

Never really thought of it before, but now you ask......I prefer husband or wife if one is married, but I suppose 'partner' is better than cohabitee if a couple live together.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 15 Feb 2013 15:37

I'm old enough for partner to mean someone you are in business with, so it sounds strange to my ears.

I refer to him as my husband.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 15 Feb 2013 15:32

If you are married, does it bother you that you are referred to as a partner to your husband/wife instead of being referred to as husband/wife?