General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Being called a partner

Page 1 + 1 of 4

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paula+

Paula+ Report 15 Feb 2013 18:54

Lynda that sounds a really lovely idea :-) I think OH rather enjoys telling people, with a twinkle in his eye, that we are not married. ;-) ;-)

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 15 Feb 2013 19:02

Lol @ K post.

Yes ..too many assumptions are made ...whether this was a visual assumption of her hands, or that she looked ' that age that she "should be married" '

I'm married ,but heaven forbid if I was widowed I wouldn't take off my wedding ring.
Some peeps wear rings on many fingers .

I'm also of the age that I probably look as if I've been brow beaten by my husband.
No chance !!! :-D The kids have taken their toll more like ! ;-)

KenSE

KenSE Report 15 Feb 2013 19:22

I suppose it was too simple to rule that adult women should be called Mrs regardless of marital status.

How about confusuing us chaps even more by adding Mx (Mex) for women no longer married. :-D

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 15 Feb 2013 19:36

If I'm not asked for my title, I usually just say my first and last name, but it doesn't bother me saying I am Mrs.
I don't wear a wedding ring, not for any other reason, than it feels too heavy and it's a little too small, so it feels restricting. I always mean to have it made bigger, but never get round to it. On the plus side, a friend made it, and it is very intricate and patterned, had I of worn it these last 40 odd years, it'd probably have no pattern left, as it is it looks brand new :-D

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Feb 2013 19:59

If someone refers to their OH or co-habitee as "partner" I assume that they are either not married or gay.

K

K Report 15 Feb 2013 20:09

Lynda - Happy to see that someone else doesn't wear a ring. I don't really like wearing them and used to take them off when working on the smallholding or riding .

Over 40 years of marriage I have lost 2 wedding rings and eventually gave up wearing rings completely 10 years ago. My OH doesn't like wearing a ring either.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Feb 2013 20:10

I had to tell my OH to refer to me as his partner. He had introduced me to somebody as his lady friend.

Why not just say floozie?

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 15 Feb 2013 20:34

K, I must look married, because although I don't wear a ring, people assume I'm married, must be the wrinkles :-D

Sharron, I like floozie :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Feb 2013 21:31

And,while I am at it,his mother is not my future mother-in-law.

She is my future- ex- boyfriend's mother.

Haribo

Haribo Report 15 Feb 2013 21:35

I have also corrected people when they have refered to my husband as 'your partner' to me its term used for unmarried people and was unheard of before I married, before marriage he was my boyfriend.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 15 Feb 2013 21:40

Like your thinking Sharron ;-)

I'm assuming that those who aren't keen on the word partner, when married, are in the "older" category, and partner isn't a word we're used to, I expect in a few years from now, nobody will worry about it :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Feb 2013 21:47

I don't see that it is the business of anybody else whether Iam married or not. The title of a man does not immediately indicate his marital situation so why should mine?

I f we did marry I doubt I would think to mention it to anybody.

Wend

Wend Report 15 Feb 2013 21:50

Trying hard to picture you as a 'Floozie' Sharron, especially in your ten ton truck :-D

Edit - I'm not bothered what I'm called, btw. I know what I am and who I belong to and that's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 Feb 2013 21:58

Nobody else has worked that out yet!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Feb 2013 22:02

I didn't want to get married, because my parents put me off!! Not fighting etc, but loooooooong silences, they finally divorced after 30+ years of marriage.

I eventually got married at the ripe old age :-D of 36.

He's my husband and my life partner <3

Definitely my "other half" ~ I didn't know what was missing until I met him <3

If I hear "partner" I assume the couple isn't "married", but that's none of my business :-)

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 15 Feb 2013 22:10

Rings are a different issue , tho visually a dead give away when you take one off when you worn it for nearly 40 yrs, that you've been married.
Why have such an intricate and patterned ring 'made by a friend' to keep hidden away ( yes.... I get the sizing bit )
Isn't it supposed to be a token of your love to each other? Why not show the world what it meant. No disrespect but it was a 'token of love'.
I have 2 wedding rings, my original one is a White gold wide plain band,sometimes I can't wear it because it will irritate my skin( being wide I probably don't dry the skin underneath properly) So hubby bought me a 2 coloured Welsh gold one for our Anniversary some yrs ago.
Depend how I feel as to which I wear,sometimes I just wear my engagement ring, but I feel 'lost and naked ' without wearing one of them !

My mother wore her engagement ring for 51 yrs,wedding ring for 50.
We had to have the engagement ring rebuilt for her , where it had worn thin at the back cos she never took them off.
She wanted my sis and I to have them when she died ,with dad's consent .
I've the engagement ring sis has her wedding ring.
I have dad's wedding ring( was a signate ring type) he wore for years until it split at the back ,when mum died we were going thro things and I found it in a box ,he said' you can have it' ( I was into making jewellery at the time).
I had it rebuilt for him, he was so pleased and touched he had tears in his eyes, and he wore it for the next 13 yrs until he died. He said you must keep it when I go .
I have it ( he wrapped wool around the back of it cos he was loosing weight and didn't want it to slip off his finger) whatever was on the front of the ring has worn away with age, but he wore it with love....and it is treasured ( and sometimes worn ..with the wool still on it ) with love ;-)

Hubby only takes his Wedding ring off when I am doing a jewellery clean,and ask him for it to be included to be buffed up and polished.:)

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 15 Feb 2013 22:23

My wedding ring is white gold too Sandie, it isn't hidden away, I often see it when I put on other jewellery :-D
I suppose because I haven't worn it for so long, I don't miss wearing it. I don't see it as a token of our love, I see that more as still being together and being happy. I have my Mums rings and two Grandparents rings that I often wear, and because they are no longer here, when I wear them I feel there presence.

Paula+

Paula+ Report 15 Feb 2013 23:05

I wear a ring my late husband brought for me, and an engagment rings from my OH on the same finger. All are very special to me.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 15 Feb 2013 23:16

I take my rings off as soon as I enter my front door at the end of a working day.
I hook both wedding and engagement ring to my watch and set them down.
I spend at least 10 mins of everymorning looking for them, because I hate to leave the house without .... my watch!

Oddly, I prefer wife to partner.

Paula+

Paula+ Report 15 Feb 2013 23:19

This has set me thinking, what other name could one use if not married?