General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Translation please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 17 Feb 2013 13:00

Big favour to ask but could someone type in George William Frederick Henry Herbert PIckles and translate the item about him in the argus of Melbourne and Victory August 1925. None of it is very clear but it will be very much appreciated if you can do this thank you in advance for your help. Regards Sue.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Feb 2013 13:02

Type it in where please???

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Feb 2013 13:04

It's on Trove

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2159749

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 17 Feb 2013 13:06

Sorry Shirley, I typed it into Google.

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Feb 2013 13:08

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2159749

There's a zoom in bottom right corner which makes it more readable.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Feb 2013 13:10

Basically it was a bigamist marriage - come back in half an hours time!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Feb 2013 13:16

That the respondent had been married three times was alleged in the Divorce Court on Wednesday when Gladys Frances Lilian Pickles sought a nullity of her marriage with George William Frederick Henry Pickles on the ground that he was married at the time she went through the form of marriage with him. Mrs Romgrove(?) appeared for the petitioner, The marriage which it was sought to set aside was celebrated in Ballarat in September 1923, the respondent being the widow of Thomas Ryan who was killed in France. Mrs Pickles stated that the police questioned her when Mrs Annie Pickles of England wrote asking for the whereabouts of her husband, to whom she had been married in 1915. later she received a letter from Mrs Frances Pickles, who was a nurse and who stated that she was married in 1922, to Pickles, who sailed for Australia eight days later. He had told the petitioner that he never returned to England. Mr Justice McArthur said that evidence would be necessary to prove the English marriage, and also to prove that the first wife was alive when the Ballarat marriage took place. He adjourned the application to Melbourne for further consideration

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Feb 2013 13:26

Interestingly seems likely he married under the name Herbert in 1922, but I'm not seeing the first alleged marriage to Annie in 1915? Edit unless he married as James or Tom)

Marriages Jun 1922 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullen Frances E Pickles Worksop 7b 149
Pickles Herbert Bullen Worksop 7b 149

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 17 Feb 2013 16:19

More than half an hour has past, thank you all for helping, it seems he married in different first names, so I,have my work cut out now in trying to find deaths or divorces in Australia. Thanks again.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Jan 2015 16:10

Dug this up again because I need more help, how can I find out what happened at Melbourne with regard to the marriages and any further events with regard to his "wives" or him. He is known variously with any of the first names mentioned in my initial post.
Many thanks :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 16:17

May be?

Reference: J 77/2309/2318
Description:
Divorce Court File: 2318. Appellant: Annie Maud Pickles. Respondent: Herbert Pickles. Type: Wife's petition for divorce [wd].
Date: 1926
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record
Language: English
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8045579

Only the first marriage would have been legal and valid.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Jan 2015 18:51

Thank you DET, my next question and I just know I'm gonna say DOH, is if that divorce was granted, (it is his first marriage) would that still mean the other 3 are still bigamist, he doesn't say that he is divorced on any of them.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 19:23

Assuming it is the correct people and that she was granted a divorce.....

Any marriage he engaged in between the date of his first one and the divorce is null and void because he was still legally married to his first wife. He'd have to re-marry (Or if she'd have him, legally marry her for the first time) any of his subsequent 'wives'.

Even now, the law only recognises that you can have one living spouse at a time. Once divorced or widowed, you're free to marry again.

Doh??? ;-) :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Jan 2015 19:51

No, no DOH, as far as I know he married 1915. 1922. In England and 1930. 1941/2 in Australia. So I shall be sending for the divorce info. Thank you again.

PS we used to say he liked wedding cake ;-) :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 20:05

If Mrs Annie Pickles married him in 1915 and didn't appear to divorce him until 1926, then the marriage to Frances Pickles in 1922 and the one to Gladys Frances Lilian Pickles were illegal. The newspaper article was dated Aug 1925.

Assuming he and Annie did divorce, the subsequent marriage in 1930 was legal. The one 1941/2 would depend if he had bothered with another divorce/was widowed or as your family says, likes wedding cake!

Not sure why Gladys felt she needed the marriage to be annulled - perhaps it was to get it on record so that there was no doubt that she was free to marry someone else

Some guys might think he was mad. He might have liked the ladies, but think of all those mother-in-laws!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Jan 2015 20:59

I have sent for the divorce info, it will be interesting whatever it says, he was in the army and travel a bit in UK, when he left for Australia he was a civilian, the plot thickens! ;-)